General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Fees

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:23 PM
fullswedge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Fees

Hello All; I was about to pull the trigger on a new bike, until it came to about $1200 in dealer fees. At that point I couldn't take any more and said sorry, thanks for your time, and off I went on the same bike I came there on. Is it me, am I whining about nothing? What do y'all think?

Old 08-28-2014, 03:29 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

What was the model? Did you try to haggle?

Nobody likes paying dealer prep and delivery fees but sometimes there is nothing you can do. Try other dealers. You just need to find a dealer that isn't moving stock as fast as they would like and will be willing to negotiate. It's going to be hit or miss with any vehicles sale--cars, trucks, bikes etc..Keep shopping around.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:33 PM
mtnbkr62
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in 2003 HD shops were charging 5k over MSRP because of Supply and Demand, Not sure how it is in your area, but here in the DFW area I have 5 HD shops to shop around to find the best deal, I only went to my closest one which is 3 miles from the house and they gave me a deal on my SB, Remember it's up to you what you think is a good deal only you know your situation.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

It's your choice. You can certainly make a counter offer on any price they give you. If you don't like the deal, walk away. All depends- if they are moving bikes at their pricing, they have little incentive to discount. If they are hungry for sales, they'll call you back.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:24 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Fees are pure profit - nothing more. There are dealers all over the country that are willing to sell you a bike - it depends on how much work you want to deal with. I'd work to near death to avoid the extra costs but when its all said and done you can't ride a price.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:25 PM
fullswedge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
It's your choice. You can certainly make a counter offer on any price they give you. If you don't like the deal, walk away. All depends- if they are moving bikes at their pricing, they have little incentive to discount. If they are hungry for sales, they'll call you back.
Well, your right, I was trying to trade my 2013 super glide for a 14 low rider. I offered $2500 plus my bike. We went back n forth a few times and the numbers all looked good, Till the dealer fees were factored in, Around $1200. If it weren't for those fees i'd be ridin a low rider now.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:28 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Well, I view the transportation charge and the dealer prep fee differently.

The transportation charge is fair. If you don't want to pay it, you can certainly take a pickup to Milwaukee and get one there and bring it home. I think that would cost you more than what the dealer's charging. As always, though, everything is negotiable.

The dealer prep fee...NFW. I am not going to pay them to take the bike out of the crate, do fluids, check nuts & bolts, wash it and put it on the showroom floor. That's part of their cost of doing business, just like their flooring costs.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

All those fees are a suckers game. It allows them to put a false price on the tag. I always negotiate out - the - door pricing. No surprises that way.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:37 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Imagine Imagine if you went to the store for a $7.99 six pack. When you get to the counter, the guy tells you there is a 50 cent "shelf stocking fee" and a $1.50 "unloading fee".

Old 08-28-2014, 04:40 PM
roadpop
Tourer
Location: Living 33yrs in Sunny Florida !!! Living the retirement dream....Love it!!!
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

This might help you negotiate on your bike

http://www.seedealercost.com/product...ug/powersports

Quick Reply: Dealer Fees