General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start after long storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:38 AM
dberman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start after long storage

Anyone got an idea about this issue:

'07 Softail Deluxe has been sitting in my garage for maybe 6 months, on a battery charger the entire time. Today, it won't start. The accessories and lights come one, the fuel injector cycles, but the starter button is dead. Any ideas?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:06 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

put a voltmeter on the battery should read about 12+ volts , hit start button .
if it drops to below 10 volts , its the battery.

if it does not drop , check the starter relay , then starter solenoid.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

Not trying to be a dick, but verify that the button next to the starter button is set to "run" and not "off"

Otherwise, heybaylor gave some excellent advise.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:28 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by dberman
Anyone got an idea about this issue:

'07 Softail Deluxe has been sitting in my garage for maybe 6 months, on a battery charger the entire time. Today, it won't start. The accessories and lights come one, the fuel injector cycles, but the starter button is dead. Any ideas?
If it was on a regular or Trickle charger for that long, the battery is likely cooked. If you used a Float charger (Battery Tender), then that's fine.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:28 AM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think the injection pump will power up if the run button is off. Is there a security system on the bike? It could have gone into some kind of hybernation. Is there a key symbol flashing.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:47 AM
dberman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HeyBaylor: Just tried it, the initial voltage is above 13 (which is where it's supposed to be). The starter button, when activated, does not draw any juice, so it's probably not the battery. If it were the solenoid, I think the voltage would still drop when the starter button was activated. And it's an '07; the solenoid isn't that old.

Crazy, no worries. If I were new at this, I might make that dumb mistake. But I'm not. And I didn't.

4Stroke: It is highly likely that the security system is the problem.

So, starter relay, maybe. Security system, maybe. I could fix the starter relay but not the security system. I just hate having to call a dealership. Either way, thanks guys for the input.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:56 AM
kainvamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's the security, did you replace the battery in your fob? Also do you have a pin set, could try inputting it.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

The battery in your fob might be dead.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by dberman
.......Crazy, no worries. If I were new at this, I might make that dumb mistake. But I'm not. And I didn't.........
OK, you know I didn't mean anything by it. I'm sorry it didn't turn out to be that easy, though. Good luck with it.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:14 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Maybe another advice. Are you living under or in the close vicinity of overhead high voltage power lines? I stopped my Heritage Classic once in the vicinity only (100 and more meters or so) and the bike refused to start again. Not starter solenoid, no click, nothing. Dead, like a skeleton of 300 years old. Pushing her a twenty meters or so further from the overhead HV lines re-animated the bike all of a sudden and she started normally..Was the security system who prevented the bike from starting, activated and influenced by the electrostatics/ induction from the HV-lines. I heard from friends of mine, living in houses 200 meters away from HV lines, that sometimes they face the same problem but not predictable every time but from time to time. I share this because it can be just another approach of your problems...Unthinkable normally..

Quick Reply: Won't start after long storage