General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test rode the Ultra Limited Low

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 03:40 AM
Who Dey
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test rode the Ultra Limited Low

Well as you guys know I have been praising HD for coming out with the Low series of their touring bikes saying it was the best thing since sliced bread etc...."Home Run" I think I said. I went to the dealer and they had one and I sat on it and it has a very nice low seat height. I immediately fell in love, the bike was just beautiful and felt perfect in every way.

We kicked around some numbers on my trade in and the price of the new bike and finished up all the numbers by phone the next day. They gave me a very fair deal and was nice as could be, and I have never wanted something so bad in my life I don't think as I did this bike. Everything was all set up, I cleaned everything out of the saddle bags of my Street Glide and off to the dealer I went to trade it in for what I figured would be the last bike I ever would buy.

The deal was all set up, loan approved and everything.....only thing left was to test ride this beautiful Beast, man I was so damn excited!!! They pull it out of the dealership and I am thinking what a beautiful machine, it's everything I could ever want and then some. Me and the girlfriend hop on it all smiles and happy and hit the road. I immediately didn't like the way that the bike felt. I felt like the seat was pushing me up on the gas tank and the handlebars are two inches closer to the rider than a regular Ultra and I just felt very crunched up or something. After about 3-4 miles my elbows actually started aching...and by the way they never do that.

I was so disappointed that I wasn't saying anything and the g/f says....do you like it honey? I said I can't decide, how about you do you like it? She said yeah it's ok....I knew that she wasn't impressed so I said listen be totally honest with me. She said well Im not crazy about it really but I know you love the bike and I will adjust to it. I then told her that I in fact don't like the bike and she was like....well ok I will be honest I don't like it at all. We had a Royal Star Venture before the Street Glide a year ago and it spoiled us, The Ultra Classic just doesn't compare to it in anyway.

Anyway....what a kick in the ***** I tell ya! I never imagined that things would have turned out that way. I thought sure that I had found the bike of my dreams. There is strong rumors of a 2015 3rd generation Venture coming out, I hope it is true because I need to get back on a touring bike bad. The regular Ultra is too tall for me and she don't like the ride anyway, the Wing is too tall for me, and the Victory Vision isn't but......Meh I don't like it. The Indians aren't real Indians and they are too expensive.....whats a guy to do??? My Home run turned into a Strike out big time!

Last edited by Who Dey; 08-31-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:44 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Why didn't you try to ride an FLHTCU with a deep bucket seat? But also an Electric Glide can be adapted to you length as well by his suspension. I personally ride for several years an Heritage Classic 2003 Anniversary Edition, fully personalised for the long haul. Very comfortabel and my wife and I rode over 30 k miles in less than 4 years, across Europe.
We make 5000 miles plus here in Saudi Arabia, with an JAGG oil cooler installed. very comfortable, indeed.....As we thought..
Till......I could ride a FLHTCU from one of our friends..Don't argue further, no wrapping paper, no ribbons....we take him without any of this and unseen...Never rode a better bike than this one...In mountainous areas, in towns, on the freeway, on rural desert roads..But, the advantage of Harley is, that you van tailor the bike from the beginning to your demands and wishes..And the basic Electra Glide family? Better than ever !

Old 08-31-2014, 06:04 AM
Who Dey
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen
Why didn't you try to ride an FLHTCU with a deep bucket seat? But also an Electric Glide can be adapted to you length as well by his suspension. I personally ride for several years an Heritage Classic 2003 Anniversary Edition, fully personalised for the long haul. Very comfortabel and my wife and I rode over 30 k miles in less than 4 years, across Europe.
We make 5000 miles plus here in Saudi Arabia, with an JAGG oil cooler installed. very comfortable, indeed.....As we thought..
Till......I could ride a FLHTCU from one of our friends..Don't argue further, no wrapping paper, no ribbons....we take him without any of this and unseen...Never rode a better bike than this one...In mountainous areas, in towns, on the freeway, on rural desert roads..But, the advantage of Harley is, that you van tailor the bike from the beginning to your demands and wishes..And the basic Electra Glide family? Better than ever !
That is certainly a possibilty to try one with a lower seat option but they would have to have the seat there at the dealer and let me try it out before I bought the bike. I hate to say it but im just not feeling the Quality in Harleys that I expected. I know im going to get ripped on here for saying that but its just the truth. I would probably give Victory a look but their lack of dealerships worries me. I have heard that they are top notch touring bikes.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:05 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Interesting thread !

I too found the Ultra awkward when I tried one out during a recent demo day. I chalked the experience up to my inexperience as a rider. I still believe most of my discomfort stems from my relative lack of versatility as a rider but its interesting to read that others with more experience share at least some of my disappointments. That "cooped up" feeling, the OP expressed, was one of the things that struck me too and the COG, compared to my Breakout, felt very much higher.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:50 AM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I mean, you could change to standard bars and a different seat pretty easily. I'd start with the bars first as they'd be the cheapest. Maybe changing one thing at a time you'll find a happy solution.

I'm on Harley number 3 and not one of them has fit right from the factory. Easy enough to make it work.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:19 AM
FredAndrews
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultra Low...Short people HAHA

Old 08-31-2014, 07:25 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,070 Likes on 758 Posts

First off, the Venture is (was) a super comfortable bike, not to mention an excellent 100hp touring bike right out of the box...you are not alone on that one. I had a Road Star for years and wanted to step up. Unfortunately, the dealer would not give me a satisfactory deal on a Venture in '09, and the HD dealer bent over backwards for me, so I got a UC. I tried 4 seats before I found the right one, although reaching the ground was not an issue for me. There are way$ to make this bike fit you..and if your dealership is worth a damn they should be helping you figure out what it takes, but you have to communicate what the issues are before taking the deal.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:34 AM
03100thflstc
Advanced

Question
1. What's wrong with your street glide? Lowers and a tour PAC is all that it's missing to being close to an ultra.

If the venture is what blows your skirt up, then buy one. I think it's awesome that they have a carburetor and a cassette player all for the low msrp of $19999

http://http://youtu.be/iGzkqdS25pk

Old 08-31-2014, 07:36 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Road an Ultra Classic Low yesterday at Demo Days. Hated the bars. And it bottomed out on some bumps. Both of us only weigh 300 lbs. also felt cramped. Guess it's designed for 5' tall rider under 150 lbs.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:41 AM
fireman9513
Road Captain

your riding a street glide now, so your on a touring bike, add the fairing, and a tour pak, and if your like the lower fairings and you have an electraglide that has been lowered.

Im editing this because I spoke to soon, scratch the front fairing, you already have that!

Last edited by fireman9513; 08-31-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Test rode the Ultra Limited Low