General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need recommendations on a book.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:55 AM
caedenspa
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Need recommendations on a book.

This is a slightly different request than we usually see on this site, but you guys are the best source I have seen for all things HD.

My 7 year old son is a Harley freak. As in, every Saturday "daddy, let's go to a Harley dealer". Doesn't necessarily want me to buy him anything, just to walk through and look at every last bike on the floor. Then we come home and he wants me to pull one or the other of mine out in the driveway so he can sit on it.

I want to find him a book - like a coffee table type book that has pictures of more current models in it. He wants to be able to identify all the bikes on sight, but just hasn't got a good reference to learn them from and it frustrates him.

Any ideas? Most books seem to be full of the pre-AMC bikes. Great, but not what excites him (yet!).

Old 09-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I have seen a huge book on the history of motorcycles at Barnes & Nobles before... it was awesome...

Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just Harley, or other makes too? HD send me a nice glossy catalogue with all the new models in each year. It has a mixture of both showroom photos and photos of the bikes being ridden. I let the kids cut them up and stick the pictures on things (they're younger that yours) but I'm sure they must have these at the dealerships in the sales dept?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 AM
caedenspa
Cruiser

That catalogue sounds PERFECT. Surprised I haven't seen them at the dealers. I'm going to try the HD website. Thanks!

Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 AM
m6zero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the catalogue. My local dealership used to give me one when I stopped by (come to think of it, they didn't give me one this last time). If you're dealership doesn't have them for whatever reason and I can get a hold of one on my end, I'll send it to you. I'm not sure if they have any catalogues left, though, but I'll be down there tomorrow and will look.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:46 AM
caedenspa
Cruiser

Thanks - I tried the website. You can order all the parts catalogs you want. Bike catalogs you have to download in .pdf. I'm just going to do that and print it at the office.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:14 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a coffee table book "The Ultimate Harley-Davidson" by Mac McDiarmid (256 pages)....history, photos...it's dated 2005, but might be interesting reading. Someone gave it to me....you can have it...your son might enjoy it...

Last edited by BinIdaho; 09-03-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:18 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Basically what I did was to go to my local bookstore and look at their section where they have books on Harleys and I just picked out the book that was most interesting to me. By the way, I've done that several times and I have the books to prove it.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:38 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I have seen a huge book on the history of motorcycles at Barnes & Nobles before... it was awesome...
I think I have seen one there, too. I would try that.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Navarre
Club Member
Received 66 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep trying at your local HD Dealer for a parts catalogue. The new 2015 parts catalogue just
came out so a lot of the dealers are just now getting shipments of them. I was lucky enough that they had them in stock when I purchased my used Dyna, so I got a copy. Keep trying!

Quick Reply: Need recommendations on a book.