General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding boots

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 PM
jerseydevil63
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding boots

What kind of boots does everyone wear & whats most comfortable and or recommended?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:06 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

You're going to get A LOT of different suggestions. It's one of those questions that comes up a lot here, and there is never any consensus.

Personally, I like all leather engineers with toe and heel reinforcement (steel toe, or synthetic armor is fine) and good grippy soles. Or, six inch high laced leather boots that are designed to look normal off the bike but are armored with toe, heel and ankle bone protection, again good slip resistant soles.

I do not recommend regular work boots, tactical boots, sneaker boots, fashion boots, cowboy boots, jungle boots, etc. But plenty do wear them on the bike, I did too at one time, and it's better than wearing flip flops, vans, or converse.

Comfortable, at least right out of the box, isn't really the operative thing, IMHO. Cheap canvass sneaker boots will be comfortable, but they won't do the job on the bike the way boots designed for riding will. And, my old engineers, and even armored boots if you buy the right ones, start to feel like slippers once broken in.

Here's what I wear most often now, and they are armored at the toe, heel and ankle bones, and comfortable as can be. They ain't cheap though.

Sometimes I wear old school engineers. These are reinforced at the toe and heel boxes with cat's paw non slip soles. They are really pricey handmade USA boots, but I got them for 50 bucks at a thrift shop that didn't know what they were:

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 09-03-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts
Old 09-03-2014, 08:10 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

If you heel shift buy a boot that has little to no heal such as a touring type boot

Old 09-03-2014, 08:14 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Bates 6 inch lace up, they are part of their motorcycle collection.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I switched from "work" boots to a dedicated riding boot. I absolutely love them.

These: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...n-wp-air-boots

Old 09-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thorogoods

I own 2 pair, and I will never buy another brand unless they stop making them.

Plus, they get compliments from the ladies.

Last edited by Greatscott; 09-03-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Red Wing Boots

I got a pair of Red Wing 6" work boots about 2 weeks ago and they are already broken in...One of the fastest break in I've ever had on a new set of boots. The come in wide sizes to EE and are very comfortable. They ain't cheap but they can be resoled and that is a big plus in my book. They even come in a width of H, which I've never heard of a shoe size that wide.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-black

Old 09-03-2014, 09:17 PM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I switched from "work" boots to a dedicated riding boot. I absolutely love them.

These: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...n-wp-air-boots

I really have enjoyed the comfort and protection of my Alpinestars Gore Tex boots from RevZilla. Very tacky soles with good grip, great shin guard, fit very well and comfortable to walk in, look nice under jeans, and good price point. A well made boot is not something to cut corners on. Just like you don't want to cut corners in the price of a helmet.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

CruiserWorks is one of the few companies that makes a narrow boot, in their tour model. I've got an "a" width shoe size.

They are by far the most comfortable, waterproof boot I've ever had (before that, I wore RedWings, also available in a narrow).

They've been through some ups and downs as a company the past few years, and are damn expensive, but my first pair, resoled once, finally shot, lasted 10 years.

http://www.cruiserworks.com/

Quick Reply: riding boots