General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

putting her away for winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 11:16 AM
justplainjohn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting her away for winter

First bike, so don't laugh at me for asking.
I keep seeing people talk about putting their bikes away for winter; putting Sta-Bil in the tank, etc.
I'm in North Georgia and while it does freeze from time to time during winter, it's nothing like the northern states. Am I safe just leaving it as-is and starting it up once a week just to let it run a few minutes? I do that now on the weeks I can't ride.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:21 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

I put a little Seafoam and Marvel Mystery oil in mine, plug the tender in once a week for a day and when it gets above 45 and no snow I go for a ride.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Winterizing

In your climate, just keep it on a tender and I wouldn't crank it unless I intended to ride it. Condensation can build up in the oil and unless you run it long enough to make it vaporize, you will be doing more harm than good. There are several gas stations in my area that sell 100% gas and I keep it filled with that gas all the time unless on a trip.

Last edited by dyna rider; 09-04-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,276 Likes on 11,145 Posts

I lived in Portland, Oregon for a while. Even there I was able to find an opportunity for a ride at least every other week. I would imagine you should be able to do that in Georgia.

If the same gas is not going to be used for a few months...yes, add a fuel stabilizer like SeaFoam.

Put it on a a Battery Tender, to keep the battery happy. Not a trickle charger! Make sure it is a battery tender, like the brand BatteryTender.

Don't start it for a few minutes. That can cause more issues by not completely burning off all the moisture.

Ride that scoot!! Winterization is for the folks that don't see temps above 0 for months on end, or don't have clear pavement for the same time....Says the guy from San Diego.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 AM
ki7hy
Advanced

What's winter?

Old 09-04-2014, 11:55 AM
justplainjohn
Advanced

Sounds good to me then!
I've already got a tender for it. I plug it in once a week to top off the battery.
With these lace wheels I've got to check my air pressure before every ride too, but that's a different story.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Um, isn't this post several months early?????

But Stabil and battery tender should cover you. Now if you are storing it yourself in a shed or a garage that has had mice and such in the past I'd recommend covering over your tailpipe holes and removing your leather/Vinyl items and storing them someplace safer. Mice will make a nice nest in your seat or in your mufflers if given the chance.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:01 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,155 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Don't just start it for a few minutes....that makes things worse with moisture in there, getting into the oil. Never gets hot enough to burn off the moisture. If you're going to start it..ride it for at least a half hour.

Change oil BEFORE storage. You don't want the acids of old oil sitting on the surfaces of the inside of engine all winter.

I live up north. I typically ride at least once per month..but some winters I can go for 6 maybe 7 weeks without. I put it on an old fashioned trickle charger for a day maybe once a month or 6 weeks.

Keep gas tank full. Any open space in there can allow moisture to get in, rust, get into gas, etc.

I don't do stabilizers/storage stuff..haven't since..oh, the 80's. These days they put in so much detergents and stabilizers..it's already in there. Never have a problem in any/all of my equipment lately without it. Bikes, boats, tractor, yard equipment, whatever..they all start up just fine in the spring. But if you want to use sea foam or something to add even more..hey, it's your wallet, free country.

I move the bike about 1/2 a wheel rotation every 4-6 weeks or so, to keep a flat spot from forming. Actually since last year I just put her on the lift and lift her up a bit....since I got a lift. But when bike used to sit on the ground I've move it to keep flat spots from forming on the tires.

I have an old sloth car cover I just toss over it...or old bed sheet...keep dust off.

As mentioned above...if mice where you store it...plug the buttholes with steel wool or something.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:04 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Most winters I'm able to get a ride in every couple of weeks here in Middle TN. Our winters only really last 2-3 months and if you dress for the sub-50 degree days you'll be able to get out frequently. As said before don't start and let it idle. I've see all kinds of posts of moisture in the crankcase and oil pressure not getting high enough to properly lubricate all the bearings.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:09 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

It freezes here sometimes but all I ever did was hook my bike up to a battery tender, if I wasn't going to ride it for 3-4 days. Other than that, I was riding it if it was in the 40s or high 30s.

Quick Reply: putting her away for winter