General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple flags on vest

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 03:32 AM
UFO8MyCow
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Multiple flags on vest

I hold dual citizenship in the US and Canada and I would like to add a Canadian flag to my vest but the organization I ride with says no. They allow US flag on my left shoulder but they wont let me put the canadian flag with it.i was told I could put it on the bottom few inches of the front or sides bit I am not sure if that would be inappropriate. I would rather go without than to disrespect the flag.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:48 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Okay then.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:42 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

well, us flag code says no other flag should be higher than the us flag. what does the canadian flag code say? if it says basically the same thing, then you would be disrespecting one or the other. i'd go without

Old 09-06-2014, 06:41 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

The Canadian flag code is very similar to the U.S. Flag code, and contains these opening lines.

"The National Flag of Canada should be displayed only in a manner befitting this important national symbol; it should not be subjected to indignity or displayed in a position inferior to any other flag or ensign. The National Flag always takes precedence over all other national flags when flown in Canada."

The U.S. Flag code states: "The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the flag of the United States. It is Section 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq). This etiquette is as applied within U.S. jurisdiction. In other countries and places, local etiquette applies."

As you would be wearing your vest in the U.S., the U.S. flag would take precedence over all others. However, you mention your "organization". If they have a firm rule on this, you may need to abide by that. I've heard that Rolling Thunder wouldn't allow their members to have a PGR patch on their Rolling Thunder vests. You may wish instead to wear a pin depicting Canada, if you are concerned about disrespecting your Canadian flag.

In the U.S., the Flag Code is not "law." It is protocol, and is less and less followed by the general public as the years go by. When I was a kid, it was taught in elementary school on Flag Day.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 09-06-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:10 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

two different vests?

Old 09-06-2014, 08:33 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Ride with a different, less **** group or forget the flags.

I was going to join a combat Vet group but they don't allow "rocker" patches...too much like a "biker club"...like the one I have on mine that says "Vietnam Vet". How stupid is that? Plus they're about the most unfriendly group I've talked to.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Whoknew72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Velcro backed flags. When you are in canada put the leaf on, while riding in the US wear the Stars and Stripes. Or you could pick just on and rock the hell out of it everywhere.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:39 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
Groucho Marx

Old 09-06-2014, 08:54 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

On the center back of my vest, up near the neck I have the American flag patch. To its lower right and left I have the New Zealand and Italian flag patches; these represent my parents' home countries and my direct heritage, of which I'm very proud. In the center of the 2 lower flags is my dad's WW2 43rd Infantry Division insignia patch, worn out of respect for him and all the 43rd guys I knew growing up.

These symbols are very important to me, as the Canadian flag is to you. Your decision to make, but I'd tell the organization to pound sand.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:03 AM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If there were a war between the US and Canada, which side would you fight on......just wear that one.

Quick Reply: Multiple flags on vest