General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

losing power in gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Ryan4664
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losing power in gear

I have a 2002 dyna low rider. I just adjusted the primary chain which was loose, to about 1/2-5/8 inch of play as standard. the adjustment is behind a cover that the shift rod goes through, along with a seal between the rod and the cover. I took it out for a test run to make sure it was fixed. Everything worked great around town for the first 20 min until I went to get on the highway. I open the throttle then it just bogged down and lost power. It does this when I open the throttle in any gear, but runs and revs just fine and strong in neutral and with the clutch in. I pulled over and noticed some primary fluid had been leaking out from the seal mentioned before. This does need to be replaced, but would this be causing my bigger issue? would low primary fluid cause this to happen? it does seem to shift fine and smooth still. if not then any other suggestions or tips? thanks

Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 PM
greybeard122
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't know if your bike is injected or carb. But it sounds like not enough fuel volume. Restricted filter, pinholes in the lines in the tank if injected. At idle you wouldn't have a problem reving because of the low volume needed with no load. If it was a primary problem, wouldn't rev in neutral either. Hope this helps.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Ryan4664
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. it is a huge coincidence that this happened directly after i was in the primary adjusting the chain the other day and now noticing i'm losing fluid because of the shift rod seal as a result of opening it up, but it does make sense. at idle and in neutral i have no problems reving. it is a carb, would this be anything other than the filter? i did take off the air filter to clean and dry overnight already because i suspected that as a slight possibility.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:37 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it revs fine in neutral then your air/fuel system is not the problem. Don't waste your time troubleshooting that.

Oil helps metal on metal components move freely when they touch each other. It also helps prevent unnecessary wear. It sounds like your primary has restricted movement due to a lack of oil. The longer you run your bike in this condition the faster the components will wear. Whenever you open up the primary you should replace all gaskets and seals. You should also change/top-off the fluid. That's all common practice. Taking shortcuts could end up causing more damage than you can afford.

Good Luck!