General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Learning bike maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Learning bike maintenance

Hello everyone, I am very interested in motorcycles and although I can do basic work and mods, I want to learn how to do more. I was wondering what some of you have done to learn more about maintenance and how to do the work? My idea so far is to buy an older bike for cheap and practice on that. Has anyone else done this and if so what would be a good bike to do this with? My goal is to be able to do the majority of my maintenance on my own and to also be able to repair a bike that might be older (90's). I feel like this would make my hobby more enjoyable. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated. Also I am not sure what all I should get; I have a mechanics tool set that I got a while back because nobody in my house had tools lol. I also have a bike jack but not much else. Thanks in advance for any help and I hope I'm posting this in the right area.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:25 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Just learn on what you own already.

Take you time, read & re-read the instructions until you fully understand it (watch videos if it helps), use the right tools and double check your work.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:32 AM
Nick 93
Tourer

I figured it would be better to buy an older bike because then I wouldn't have to worry so much about screwing things up so bad. Also there's not much work I would need to do on a 2015 Sportster. Not to mention I'm a little hesitant to work on a bike that I spent nearly 10k on.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:12 AM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

don't worry if u screw some thing up u can fix it

Old 08-18-2015, 07:27 AM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would try to get a bike closer to what you have currently so that it carries over. Maybe a 2000's bike instead of a 90s. Maybe a salvage title or wrecked parts bike. Ideally I would think a wrecked version of your bike would be perfect for tearing into. Then all the knowledge/tools/manual carry over.

And remember your going to need a Service Manual ~$60 for both bikes to work on them if they are different.

As for learning, I was planning to subscribe to this site for a while when I get serious about tearing into my bike.
http://www.fixmyhog.com/

Old 08-18-2015, 07:53 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

buy a basket case and work with the parts and try to put it together. no love lost if it doesnt work out just keep practicing

Old 08-19-2015, 02:42 PM
Nick 93
Tourer

Originally Posted by miami
buy a basket case and work with the parts and try to put it together. no love lost if it doesnt work out just keep practicing
Yeah that sounds like it isn't bad. I've been looking on Craigslist for something dirt cheap just to get familiar with things. I'm trying to find something that isn't too bad though. Anyway, thanks for the advice so far guys. I appreciate it.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

There's lots of youtube vids on just about anything you can think of. There's also a paid subscription to Fix My Hog. http://www.fixmyhog.com/. Google is your friend.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:34 AM
josecampbell
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would always prefer to experiment on old bikes so that even if I mess up it won't be much of an issue. You can get a wrecked version of your bike from salvage auctions and try your hand on it. Apart from the basic tools, you need to have some tuning moto products like the air filters, oil etc. And youtube is your friend when it comes to learning anything.

Last edited by josecampbell; 08-31-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Nick 93
Tourer

Originally Posted by josecampbell
I would always prefer to experiment on old bikes so that even if I mess up it won't be much of an issue. You can get a wrecked version of your bike from salvage auctions and try your hand on it. Apart from the basic tools, you need to have some motorcycle tuning products like the air filters, oil etc. And youtube is your friend when it comes to learning anything.
Yeah I think i might have to go take a look at one of those salvage auctions and see if there's anything I'd want. I just don't want to practice on my brand new bike or take anything crazy apart when it doesn't need to be done. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Quick Reply: Learning bike maintenance