General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

1997 FLHTCUI EVO Turns over but won't start please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Kwalls56
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 FLHTCUI EVO Turns over but won't start please help

OK Guys I am new to the forum and I am desperate for help. My dad recently purchased a 97 FLHTCUI that had been sitting for a couple years. We were told that the coil was the only thing bad so here is a list of what has been done to the bike.

New Battery
New HD Coil
New HD Fuel Pump
After this point the bike cranked and ran, we rode it down the street and went to load it on a trailer and it quit. It would spin over but not crank.
We then removed the tank and cleaned it and placed a new tank liner in it to remove rust. Cleaned lines and injectors then the bike cranked again.
Took it to another shop to do a service it was running and then the same thing happened it stopped running and would spin over but not crank.

After this we replaced the following:
New HD Crank Position Sensor
New HD Cam Position Sensor
New HD ECM
We've checked all the basics such as ground connections, ignition switch, ohmed out all the wires to ensure no broken wires, checked all fuses, etc...

Any help would be appreciated we are considering switching over to carb but have so much in parts we would really like to figure this problem out.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:44 AM
roadbuilder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 1998 FLHTCUI and it was stored for 8 years in a barn. HD in BC informed me to
go to carb as they claim the M&M injector system is excellent until troubles start and they also informed me that they would not work on the injected system. Fortunately for me I got it all running after doing what you did to a lesser extent. If it starts to be a problem then I will go to carbs. It ran great to start with then packed it in, I checked everything and then checked spark, problem was the coil wires got banged around removing and replacing fuel tank several times. No spark, fixed that and its running great since then.