General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Torque wrench help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Glydin
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Torque wrench help

I am embarrassed to ask this question, but I'm of the female gender and while I know about basic tools, I need help in getting information about special items. I want to get my husband a few tools that would be useful on our bikes. He has lots of wrenches and sockets, both metric and standard, from all of his farming equipment maintenance, but he doesn't have a torque wrench. So far, it's just been by feel. I would like to get him a real torque wrench. Can y'all suggest what drive, foot-lb range, brand, etc. that would be most useful. They don't require special sockets do they? Any help here is greatly appreciated. Oh, and any other motorcycle tool that any of you have found to be of great benefit to suggest would also be appreciated.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:27 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,929 Likes on 2,568 Posts

Keep it simple, go to Sears/Craftsman and get:

1- foot-pound wrench (probably will be 1/2" drive)
2- inch-pound wrench (probably will be 3/8" drive)

They use standard sockets and extension etc. They have a variety based on cost, pick out what fits your budget.

You are a good wife.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Glydin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Architect
Keep it simple, go to Sears/Craftsman and get:

1- foot-pound wrench (probably will be 1/2" drive)
2- inch-pound wrench (probably will be 3/8" drive)

They use standard sockets and extension etc. They have a variety based on cost, pick out what fits your budget.

You are a good wife.
Bear with me but is there a range on each of those? Like 5-80 ft lbs. and ??-?? inch lbs?

Old 11-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

For my money I would get:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro...1&blockType=G1

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro...3&blockType=G3

They have more expensive, but I have these for well over 10 years and they get the job done. Follow the links and you will see the ranges.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:21 PM
Glydin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Architect
For my money I would get:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro...1&blockType=G1

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro...3&blockType=G3

They have more expensive, but I have these for well over 10 years and they get the job done. Follow the links and you will see the ranges.
Wonderful!!! Thanks so much!!! You just made my day and my life easier!

Old 11-23-2015, 01:26 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Glydin
Bear with me but is there a range on each of those? Like 5-80 ft lbs. and ??-?? inch lbs?
Yes, there is. Good question!

For the smallest nuts/bolts on a bike, the torque setting requirements can go as low as 30 or 40 inch-pounds, so you would need the torque wrench that measures in in-lbs to go down around that range.

The two suggestions that Architect posted would be great!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Glydin
Wonderful!!! Thanks so much!!! You just made my day and my life easier!
You are welcome!!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:33 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

If you are just going to get him one torque wrench; one with a 3/8" drive measured in ft/lbs will be the most commonly used on his/all bikes. If he is going to be doing axles and work in the primary (clutches and compensators) a 1/2" drive that will do 100+ ft/lbs will be needed as well. The last one to get would be a 1/4" drive in in/lbs...The Craftsman torque wrenches are good for the money and they have a lifetime warranty. I currently have 3 sizes in the Kobalt brand from Lowes. When they are on sale they are hard to beat for the price and also have a lifetime warranty. I got all three of mine for less than one of the big tool truck brands (cornwell, mac, snap-on, etc.) I could not bring myself to drop $300+ on a single torque wrench. I am sure they are better quality, but if not using them multiple times a day, every day, I don't see the need. Mine have worked for years now and when I sent them to be calibrated last time they were still in spec.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:28 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I have both of the sears brands listed above for many, many years. Thats all he
should ever need.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:42 PM
gdt3
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would read his shop manual and see what torque settings are needed and then you will know what ranges to buy. You definitely cannot get by with just one torque wrench. You will need a 3/8" and a 1/2". The 3/8", properly bought will go low enough but not high enough. The 1/2" will go high enough but not low enough. Do NOT get a cheap one. Craftsman are ok, but don't get a Chinese one just because they are cheap. Accuracy is critical. The ones that are certain to not go out of spec are 'bar' types rather than 'click' types. I use my bar ones to check my click ones and they can be way out. However, the bar ones can be hard to read if you can't get in a position to read the pointer to the numbers. Happy shopping.

Quick Reply: Torque wrench help