General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Won't start... please help 05 Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Brisenokl
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start... please help 05 Road Glide

So the past 3 weeks I spent tearing my bike apart... I installed new 14" apes with the wires pulled in. Added longer clutch and throttle Cables. Took a few parts off my motor and painted all black. Things I took off was my Horn, fuel injectors, fuel rail. I plugged up my injector holes very good and I put my injectors in zip lock bags so they wouldn't get dirty. All my hand controls work perfect. So my problem is when I hooked everything up it ran fine for a few seconds then it shut off. I noticed a small leak out of my fuel line so I put on a hose clamp which fixed the leak. I am assuming that my throttle Cables aren't tight enough or are too tight. I taped off my spark plugs so those aren't dirty. My injectors were put in nice and snug and there is no leaking... when I try to start it it will run for a sec then shuts off... but I have to throttle it. Any suggestions? What is the correct tension for the throttle Cables? Should I go ahead and replace the spark plugs? What should my next step be?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:22 PM
Brisenokl
Stage III

PS it's fuel injected so shouldn't the fuel be regulated automatically?

Old 02-23-2017, 08:00 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

You might try and see if you are getting any error codes. With these newer models the electronics reads when something is not right and displays a code. Then search what that code states possible problem. I have a FP3 tuner and I can get any error codes from it. There is a way to do it manually from the bike. I saw a video showing how to retrieve codes on an older when. Check your manual, it should tell you. If not google it.
Good luck

Old 02-23-2017, 08:05 AM
Brisenokl
Stage III

K I'll look them up when I get home later... thank you sikverdoman2

Old 02-23-2017, 08:08 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

No problem
In another thread there was discussion about electrical connectors. They get loose or corroded. The one they kept talking about is attached to the TB or the ECM. They become loose or don 't make a good contact

Old 02-23-2017, 08:59 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Try wiggling or even holding up on the fuel line connector at the bottom of the tank.. You can try squirting a little gas into the intake to see if its a fuel or spark problem. If checking for spark, leave a plug in the rear cylinder. ECU needs to see compression on the rear cylinder to make spark.