General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input on the Harley Extended Service Plan

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Whoknew72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on the Harley Extended Service Plan

I bought my RK used this June and the dealer threw in the GAP coverage and Extended Service Plan. I can't find info on line so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone had any thoughts.

First, thru this plan can I do my own scheduled maintenance or does that need to be service center done? If I do it myself will that negate the coverage?

Second, I've been watching a lot of youtube about the cam chain tensioners. If one of those goes will that be covered under the ESP? I'm thinking that it should since it's NOT part of the scheduled maintenance.

Finally, what has the experience been with this ESP from those who've had it and needed it. I tend to be a skeptic and assume that these kind of plans are more about getting the money and the squirming like a snake on hot pavement that's just had the tip of his tail run over. I figure Harley, and the insurance company underwriting this ESP, have scads of attorneys who do nothing but look for ways out of the obligations. Has anyone had a good, or bad, experience with this plan?

Thanks

Old 10-16-2014, 10:21 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I had the Harley ESP warranty on my 2010 screaming Eagle ultra. I found the insurance company very fair and generous with any problems I had and fairly easy to get items repaired. Yeah only item I was a little upset that they wouldn't replace was the heat shields on the exhaust. The brackets had rusted off the back and they would not cover the heat shields for some unknown reason. Luckily I did find a new set for 50 bucks on eBay which solve my problem.

As to doing your own maintenance that is quite okay all that is required is to save your receipts from your oil filters and fluids. I like the warranty enough that I had it built into the deal of my 2014 CVO limited

Old 10-17-2014, 07:24 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I bought the ESP for my last two bikes and have got my money back and more.
I had only 1 claim denied when the Ins. Co. would not cover the radio bracket wearing thru the fairing on my old Road Glide.

I do my own maintenance and never had any issues other than above.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:17 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

in regards to the cam chain tensioner issue, i've heard that they won't cover it if you just bring it in for inspection, but if it lets loose they will. kind of a catch 22. you want to replace them before the feces hits the fan, but that's at your expense, but if you let them go to destruction, they will take care of it. makes perfect sense

Old 10-17-2014, 10:57 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

What year Road King did you buy? The problematic cam chain tensioners were on the TC tour bikes through the year '06.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:43 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
in regards to the cam chain tensioner issue, i've heard that they won't cover it if you just bring it in for inspection, but if it lets loose they will. kind of a catch 22. you want to replace them before the feces hits the fan, but that's at your expense, but if you let them go to destruction, they will take care of it. makes perfect sense
Technically true I guess. However, I had my dealer replace the cam chain tensioners with a geared cam set at 30K miles on my 2005 FLHTCI. I payed for parts only (Andrews 21G cam kit), and ESP payed for labor minus $50 deductible. I didn't ask for details (from the dealer) and they didn't offer, but that worked out well in my favor. I hope somebody somewhere is enjoying that bike. The cam really woke it up.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:36 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

even as we "speak" im reading section 7 of the ext warranty.

Its some good reading I can tell you.

Section 7 (a and b) (boiled down version)
basically you have to service your bike according to schedule in the owners manual. And you have to keep all receipts of service and repair. Nothing in the service agreement says you cant do your own service.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Whoknew72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. I got an '03 so the problem with the tensioners may be waiting in my future. I was kind of thinking, maybe even a little hoping, that the tensioners would break loose and require several new wearable components. Under the warranty that is. I have about 16 months left for it to implode.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:02 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Whoknew, with your model year bike, you should have factory tolerances to allow gear driven cams. Once installed, you'll never have to worry about cam chain tensioners again.

Many here on the Forum have used Andrews 21's or 26's with great results. I bought mine from Eastern Performance and had them installed at a total cost equal to or less than Harley's retrofit just for the cam chain tensioners.

If you wait for yours to "implode" consider the hassle that may be, possibly being broken down miles from home at ten after five on a Friday night.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:17 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I bought the ESP for my 2007 Ultra for $3,000.00. I always intended to have the bike serviced regular and being too old to crawl around on the garage floor, I knew I would want the service department do the work. Everything was covered, including all wear parts, such as tires and brakes, and batteries.

Being an avid rider all my adult life, I also knew I would be putting a lot of miles on the bike, roughly 15-18,000 miles per year. Aside from normal maintenance every 5,000 miles, and the 10,000 mile interval services, all the fairing braces were replaced due to our rough roads. I also wore out five tires, a set of brakes, a battery, and heated grips, all covered.

If I had to pay individually for each service or occurrence, I would have paid significantly more than the $3,000 the plan cost. About 40% more. I'm told that plan isn't offered any more. I wonder why?

Quick Reply: Need input on the Harley Extended Service Plan