Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Three wheels, side-car, or trike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 07:31 AM
rvnkontum
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Three wheels, side-car, or trike?

I have a '14 EG UC LIMITED. Headers done, exhaust, handlebars, seat, pretty much everything that makes riding the bike comfortable and fun,
Thinking of going to 3 wheels within the next couple of years, question is, TRI-GLIDE, with all the expense that would entail, handlebars, exhaust , etc. Or a side-car, I've got the bike, it's paid for, and the side car does look cool. The Tri-Glide does seem to be a more practical move, especially with reserve gear, and a tremendous trunk, not to mention mama would actually go some place with me for a change. What do you think, side-card, good looks and money, or the trike with all the practicality and EXPENSE that would entail? Of course, talk safety too, witch is the more practical choice, the smarter choice? Thanks

Old 07-22-2015, 07:35 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rvnkontum
I have a '14 EG UC LIMITED. Headers done, exhaust, handlebars, seat, pretty much everything that makes riding the bike comfortable and fun,
Thinking of going to 3 wheels within the next couple of years, question is, TRI-GLIDE, with all the expense that would entail, handlebars, exhaust , etc. Or a side-car, I've got the bike, it's paid for, and the side car does look cool. The Tri-Glide does seem to be a more practical move, especially with reserve gear, and a tremendous trunk, not to mention mama would actually go some place with me for a change. What do you think, side-card, good looks and money, or the trike with all the practicality and EXPENSE that would entail? Of course, talk safety too, witch is the more practical choice, the smarter choice? Thanks
de

Definitely tri glide. I have ridden both, and the handling on the sidecar does not compare to the tri glide. It also seems to take more power to pull the side car than the tri glide.

Bill

Old 07-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Both are expensive options, figure at least $7000 for a good quality sidecar delivered - those $5000 base prices are only a starting point, you'll want some of the options, and it's not cheap shipping them, either. If the sidecar brake is optional, well, it shouldn't be, you really need it. Sidecars need adjustment for toe and camber, like a car's front wheels, but it's for the weight in it when you adjust it; add or remove a passenger, and it changes the handling a little. An empty sidecar flies easy - that's lifting off the ground on a right hand turn. Not a good idea to race through the twisties with a sidecar unless you're really experienced - and your rider is, too.

Trike riders, even stock Harley without independent rear suspension, say they corner better than a two wheeler. Sidecar, not even close, and you have to muscle them through every curve. Trikes track straight; every change in throttle or a touch of brake and a sidecar rig pulls a bit to one side or the other. You do develop instincts to counter this without even thinking about it, though.

Cargo capacity, no contest riding solo, sidecar wins. Good ones have a trunk, and you can put luggage racks on most of them, so they'll probably still haul more even with a passenger.

Gas mileage... sucks on both. Probably worse with a sidecar, lot more wind resistance.

Dedicated sidecar rigs often have forks that don't work well on two wheelers, but I've ridden with standard telescopic forks and it handled fine. Harley used standard forks on their factory sidecar rigs. You'll want to change the triple trees on a trike to get the right rake for better handling if you put a trike kit on your existing bike.

I have a Ural, factory built sidecar rig, used, it cost less than a good sidecar for my Glide would be. It's slow for highway use, 70 would be around redline, but I got it mostly for my now 6 year old grandson. Been good for shopping, too. With Harley power, I think a sidecar rig would be a good touring machine with all that cargo capacity, but I don't think they're much fun when you hit lots of curves - it gives you an upper body workout. Maybe that isn't all bad, though, when you spend hours just sitting in the saddle. If I had to go to 3 wheels full time, I honestly don't know if if I'd rather trike my Glide or hang a sidecar on it.

Fairly easy to demo a trike, you can even rent them. Sidecar... you might get a Ural dealer to let you demo one, but it would be a lot slower than a Harley, of course. And if you think a Harley transmission clunks when you shift it...

One thing you can do with a sidecar you can't with a trike (comfortably or legally most places) is ride with three generations - that's a priceless experience to me.

With daughter and grandson.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:21 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,070 Likes on 758 Posts

If I ever get around to building a 2nd garage, I will get a sidecar rig, even if it isn't HD. BMW makes a killer sidecar rig..I just want it so I can take my dogs with me.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Imold, unless my rheumy ole eyes deceive me you have leading link forks on your outfit? Here's a Harley outfit with a set, they are common on all brands of outfits over here in Europe. They correct for the additional loads and side forces that can mess around telescopic forks:

Attached Thumbnails Three wheels, side-car, or trike?-harley-sidecar-2_e.jpg  
Old 07-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,412 Likes on 881 Posts

rvnkontum, you didn't mention converting your bike to a trike - it'll be less than a new tri-glide plus options - probably about the same as a sidecar w.mods you need...

If it were me I'd get the sidecar, but I'm old fashioned... Harley does sell a ton of tri glides, though...

One thing you should know with a trike you WILL hit any and all potholes etc on the road - can't go around them like a bike and can't straddle like a sidecar.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:29 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

There is only one trike to have, and that's a Goldwing trike. The Tri-Glides are absolute turds. Met a guy that bought a brand new one last year. He was so disappointed with that thing.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:14 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,251 Likes on 814 Posts

Another alternative is to convert what you have to a trike. No personal experience with any of them. Just that I do see them at the shows, and advertising online. Various configurations like solid axle, independent, even leaning.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Imold
another old guy

Originally Posted by grbrown
Imold, unless my rheumy ole eyes deceive me you have leading link forks on your outfit? Here's a Harley outfit with a set, they are common on all brands of outfits over here in Europe. They correct for the additional loads and side forces that can mess around telescopic forks:
Yes, it does. Supposed to give better off road performance, but this ain't no trail bike; that grassy area in the pic beat the heck out of us, I'll pass on rough off roading with a hack. This is an '07, way way better than the old '98 before it. Has a Brembo front brake, feels better than the brakes on any of my other bikes. The car rides very comfortably, which surprised me. Let my daughter take me for a ride in it; she can handle it just fine. The little guy would like to try...

If I could only have 4 bikes, this would stay. 3... not sure about that. By the time the grandson can reach the pegs, I'll be old enough I don't think I'd want to risk him with me on two wheels, so think I'll keep it for a while. Wait, I'm that old now...

Took that tortoise and hare decal off since this pic, never liked it. Shows the front end better.

Another thing about sidecars - the passenger really gets the engine and exhaust noise. This video is from a Ural, fairly quiet exhaust, can't imagine riding in one next to a Harley with loud pipes. Yes, Urals crunch shifting gears. A kid that never stops talking is an option...
http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/im...tml?sort=3&o=5

Old 07-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Imold
another old guy

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
One thing you should know with a trike you WILL hit any and all potholes etc on the road - can't go around them like a bike and can't straddle like a sidecar.
Weaving to miss potholes in a hack is a good way to fly the car (lift the wheel off the road). And how do I know? If you're really adventurous, you can fly the car wheel over pot holes. Depending on your passenger, you may get giggles... or screams.

Quick Reply: Three wheels, side-car, or trike?