Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

First Time Trailering the Limited

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 01:21 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts
Default First Time Trailering the Limited

Getting ready to trailer the bike for the first time next week. Not a long trip, Long Island to Kittery Maine, about 275 miles. Just going over things to do, I'm gonna load the bike and take it on short shake-down cruise in the next day or two. Other then trailer mode and plenty of straps, when I load the bike, anything else I should remember/know/pack. Gonna tour the Maine/New Hampshire/Northern Massachusetts area depending on weather. Any tips will be appreciated, thanks!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:40 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

If your straps do not have the hooks with the locking clips, I would tape the hooks "closed" with a few wraps of electrical tape. Way back when, I hit a bump and one of the straps came unhooked. No damage done but ever since, I have taped my hooks (both ends). Enjoy your trip!

The following users liked this post:
IUOE ROB (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 07:53 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

make sure the trailers up to snuff like old azz tires wheel bearing greased…. i like to carry 2 extra straps and 2 extra soft ties.

IUOE ROB (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 12:18 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

I took it out yesterday for a shake-down cruise, about 40 miles, half that on the Expressway. Had 3 straps, 2 on the tie down brackets on the forks and one across and holding down the rear tire. Checked it several times and the bike never moved. I'll definitely wrap the hooks with something, they're the open type. I'll probably put a block under the frame and pull the bike down to the block, that should hold it fairly solid, I'll also put on a couple of extra straps just because. Trailer is a "new" 2013, bought it from a local dealer. Tires are new, I re-torqued all the lug nuts yesterday and I'll check them a few times along the way. I'm bringing tools, a bottle jack, tire repair kit w/ compressor, it has a spare tire, can't think of anything else. Tow vehicle, a GMC Acadia with the tow package handled the trailer fairly well yesterday, once I get clear of pot holed New York it should be a smoother ride. Vehicle rated for 5200 lb. tow capacity, I'm figuring my load is less then half that. Thanks for the tips...

Old 05-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Getting off the Island and through the Bronx, Westchester and Western Connecticut is going to suck with a trailer. I would suggest one of the ferries, costs $$$$ but makes life a lot easier. I live near Ronkonkoma, if I take the Port Jeff ferry it is almost the same amount of time.

IUOE ROB (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 01:51 PM
pacemakertom
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Be careful using more than on strap on the same area.
They sometimes work against each other.
Use good heavy duty straps, one on each side of the forks pulling forward, and two on the rear pulling forward or at least 90 degrees from the tire. Keeps the rear from walking.

Tom

IUOE ROB (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 05:34 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
Getting off the Island and through the Bronx, Westchester and Western Connecticut is going to suck with a trailer. I would suggest one of the ferries, costs $$$$ but makes life a lot easier. I live near Ronkonkoma, if I take the Port Jeff ferry it is almost the same amount of time.
Thanks, I'm further West near Mineola so I'll probably just rough it, over the Throgs Neck and up 95. Did a Map Quest route, takes me up 95 to 91 in Connecticut, up to 84 through Massachusetts, a couple of wiggles here and there and then eventually back to 95 for the final leg. Gotta remember to stay off Parkways, never towed a trailer off the Island. Should be interesting, both the week riding Maine AND the ride there and back!

Old 05-06-2016, 06:54 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
Thanks, I'm further West near Mineola so I'll probably just rough it, over the Throgs Neck and up 95. Did a Map Quest route, takes me up 95 to 91 in Connecticut, up to 84 through Massachusetts, a couple of wiggles here and there and then eventually back to 95 for the final leg. Gotta remember to stay off Parkways, never towed a trailer off the Island. Should be interesting, both the week riding Maine AND the ride there and back!
That is the way to do it route wise. Just take your time and go the speed limit until you are past Bridgeport, the roads improve greatly after that. I-95 after the bridge will suck big time. Take your time, you will be through it fast enough.

When riding to Laconia I like to take PJ ferry, Merritt to I-91 all the the way to Vermont then cut across NH on local roads. If going to see friends in southern NH or if going to Maine I would take Orient Point ferry then I-395 to 495 to 95 eventually. Biggest problem north of Mass is no major roads going east-west, they all go north-south.

Maine is killer you will like it, I suggest Booth Bay Harbor.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:34 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
That is the way to do it route wise. Just take your time and go the speed limit until you are past Bridgeport, the roads improve greatly after that. I-95 after the bridge will suck big time. Take your time, you will be through it fast enough.

When riding to Laconia I like to take PJ ferry, Merritt to I-91 all the the way to Vermont then cut across NH on local roads. If going to see friends in southern NH or if going to Maine I would take Orient Point ferry then I-395 to 495 to 95 eventually. Biggest problem north of Mass is no major roads going east-west, they all go north-south.

Maine is killer you will like it, I suggest Booth Bay Harbor.
I'll be leaving Monday morning so I figure a good part of my early drive will be in traffic, that will slow me down some. Hopefully when I get clear of the traffic the roads will improve. Maybe I'll take the PJ ferry on the return trip on Saturday, weekend traffic getting back onto the Island really sucks, we'll see. And thanks for the Boothbay tip, I just MapQuested and it's only 106 miles from Kittery, I'll take coastal roads their and enjoy the scenery. Wanted to make it up to Acadia but doesn't look like it will happen on this trip, 200 miles one way from Kittery, too much to do in one day. Next time...thanks again!

Old 05-07-2016, 07:06 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Enjoy the trip and post some pics.

Quick Reply: First Time Trailering the Limited