Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

shifter too high

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:59 PM
hd74inca
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter too high

hello,

does anyone know if the toe shifter can be rotated down on the shaft that shifts gears? the problem i am having is that i must lift my whole leg up to down shift and my left hip is just not what it use to be. the heal shifter is okay to up shift it is only the toe shifter. if it can be rotated forward and down i will then not have to lift my leg off the floor board.

thanks,
david
socal

Old 02-14-2010, 10:05 PM
pork
Cruiser
Default yes

The shift lever is mounted on a splined shaft. You just remove the allen bolt that clamps it on and pull it out, then rotate it down one spline at a time until you like where it is. Then, reinstall the allen bolt and you are good to go. I have done this on many bikes and my wife's trike.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 AM
hd74inca
Cruiser
Default shifter

hey pork,

this is good news as i really need to move the shifter. thanks for the info and i will do it today.

david
socal

Old 02-15-2010, 09:21 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of us do not use the heel shifter.I am one of those.What I did when adjusting toe shifter was to turn the heel shifter peg into the motor and set it on the spline so it gave me more room on the floorboards.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:29 AM
lzski326
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Some of us do not use the heel shifter.I am one of those.What I did when adjusting toe shifter was to turn the heel shifter peg into the motor and set it on the spline so it gave me more room on the floorboards.
They make a chrome cover to replace the heal shifter. I have one on mine, because I dont use it either.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front shifter was factory set too high & when I made the adjustment I found out that moving it just one spline made it almost too low.
I don't like to use the heel shifter either so I put on the folding heel shifter (33876-07).
GPM

Old 02-15-2010, 04:28 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rather than buy the chrome cover I reversed the peg direction and kept it on the bike.The pegs can break and the spline also wears.If that happens I will have a replacement on the bike.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:01 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

When you rotate the shift lever on the spline it makes large adjustments. Fine tune this by extending or shortning the shifter rod linkage.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 62hdbiker
When you rotate the shift lever on the spline it makes large adjustments. Fine tune this by extending or shortning the shifter rod linkage.
Be carefull when doing this as you are also adjusting the gear engagement in the tranmission.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 AM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Be carefull when doing this as you are also adjusting the gear engagement in the tranmission.
I can't see how this changes the gear engagement unless you adjust it so far that it hit the floor board befor completing the shift.

Quick Reply: shifter too high