Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

what do you not like about having a trike

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 PM
TimAT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We traded an '07 CVO Ultra for a '11 Tri-Glide. Other than having to learn not to lean into a turn it's great. On the highway, trying to miss the bumps with 3 wheels is nearly impossible, but that's offset but not having to worry about sand or loose gravel in a curve.

Bottom line- I really miss the CVO, but riding 2 up all the time, it's way less stress. And that's worth it.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 PM
pigbike
Advanced

I agree it is much less stressful on a trike. On the highway it really doesn't make any difference, but get in some traffic, and the trike really shines.

I hate being in stop n go with a two wheeler when you have someone on the back. With the trike it is no big deal.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Bnwhite
6th Gear

You should never have to struggle to turn a trike. The Triglide (for whatever reason) did not put a good rake kit on. The front end geometry requirements of a trike are totally different then a two wheeler. There are lots of companies out there that offer up to 11deg rake kits.
The best suggestion i can give you is to ride all of the conversions. The triglide was made by Lehman(solid axle) you might want to consider independent suspension as well.
If you are at all nervous on your two wheeler, get a trike. You can ride just as fast and have way more confidence in gravel, rain, slow speeds, whatever.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 PM
dutchmanmike
Stage III
Thumbs up Triking

I have an '08 Ultra with MotorTrike conversion. Have traveled to 11 states and put on 33k miles. I stay off the 'superslab' as much as possible so you are talking many, many hours in the saddle. No complaints except that the 'twisties' are not as enjoyable. Too much work steering the trike through sharp curves.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,422 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I'm not a big fan of trikes - I bought mine for my disabled wife, so I won't give you the pep squad talk. That being said, it's a fine machine. We put 5K on in the first 3 months, with me still working fulltime.
They are right about the twisties, I did Beartooth with a group and told the others I would have arms like Schwarzenegger before we were done. It's definitely a workout.
Bumps take some getting use to - the back tires will move you sideways when they hit a bump.
Open highway is a breeze - set the cruise and let her roll.
You have to watch those big back fenders around gas pumps, etc. Dealer told me of one guy that ripped a fender off before he had a hundred miles on his trike. That had to hurt.
The wife absolutely loves it. She would probably get rid of me before the trike. And me? Well, it's not a bike. But between a trike and staying home? That's not even a question, is it?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:00 AM
trike guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spider2
I have a 2012 that I have put a little over 4000 miles on in 3 months. So far I have no dislikes about the triglide. Its more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
only thing i don't like is the seat. uncomfortable. after having my 2012 3 days reverse motor burnt out

Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bought my wife a 2010 TG june 29th. she had a Fatboy but just never got comfortable riding it....She's gone right now with one of our kids out riding without me.....OH CRAP____ I may have screwed up........ serious......I've got a 2000 UC and I could get use to riding on a TG....All i can say is, " if you want to be in the wind....get it"....

Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 AM
NHEnforcer
6th Gear

IMHO, regardless of manufacturer of the motorcycle and/or trike kit manufacturer there ARE things you're going to have to do to the trike to make it comfortable for you. That being said, I have a 2011 TriGlide that I really like. The heat on the highway and back roads in 80 degree + weather is unbearable. I went the "Fullsac route" and spent around $1500 and the heat problem is almost non existant. There was an added bonus of added torque and HP as well. I ride with a club and have some power issues when taking off from a stoplight that I will correct this winter with some cams. We , as a club, ride hard and tight. The trike has a lot of mass to move, roughly 1600 pounds with fuel, passenger, and baggage. The 103 is a nice motor but if you want to get some punch you have to put money into it.

I have ridden 1500, 1800 Honda trikes, Royal Star Venture and Venture tikes, and a Suziki trike from CSC, Motor Trike, Hannigan, and Lehman. Personally I like the TriGlide best. There are several reasons but the most important (after comfort) is that Harley Dealers will service them without any hassle (as long as you don't have a trailer hitch).

I have very little use of my left foot and went the trike route because I love riding. A trike is much different than a motorcycle, but IMHO just as much fun!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Chums
3rd Gear
Smile I love my trike

I have been riding Harley full dressers for more than 38 years now. I broke my tailbone last year and can no longer ride my 06 Street Glide for more than a few miles due to the tailbone not healing. My wife and I flew into Jacksonville Fl 2weeks ago and picked up our new 2012 Tri Glide from Adamec HD and rode it home to Fayetteville NC that weekend. What a great ride and my tailbone did great!!!:

Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 AM
seahawkfan1765
Stage II

I love my trike. I bought it used and my brother painted it for me. I am short and could not hold up a big Harley. It was 3 wheels or stop riding. I looked for a long time until I found a trike that fit my budget. Ride everything and then decide. I have a Motor Trike Trog (solid axle) kit on a 2007 Street Glide.

Quick Reply: what do you not like about having a trike