Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Hacked, Conversions and Trailering (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacked-conversions-and-trailering-100/)
-   -   what do you not like about having a trike (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacked-conversions-and-trailering/701776-what-do-you-not-like-about-having-a-trike.html)

peeweesenior 10-26-2011 10:46 AM

what do you not like about having a trike

My dad is looking at getting a trike and wants to know what people don't like about them. He is going to rent one to check it out but was wanting to hear from someone who has put some miles on one.

Randy Brian 10-27-2011 06:00 AM

I have a 09 triglide and love the crap out of it. It will get up on two wheels on a sharp turn if you are going to fast I have learned and will pop a wheelie also if you give it to much on a take off I have learned. 26,900 and change on it. Don't get me wrong it is a harley so I have had my problems with it but for riding if you have upper body strength it is wonderfull.

RB

spider2 10-27-2011 12:58 PM

I have a 2012 that I have put a little over 4000 miles on in 3 months. So far I have no dislikes about the triglide. Its more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Bubba49 10-27-2011 01:28 PM

I'm on my second trike. First was an 09 TG, the other is a 11 FLHXXX. I love them. You can't beat the comfort and stability of riding on three wheels. I've made some serious trips on both and I never get tired like I did on two wheels. The only drawback is the price of a trike (31-35K).

Bubba

hotshoe 10-29-2011 08:54 PM

The trike concept is great and I really enjoy it. Look at different makes to make a decision. A harley is problematic on it's own but the H-D motor company is only interested in selling bikes and clothing but not providing a trouble free product and taking care of their customers in my opinion.

Good luck

oldmsocko 10-30-2011 06:35 AM

There is NOTHING wrong with the TG. Like anything that is new it can have its problems. The biggest problem is the MOCO and the way they are supporting the warranty.
I LOVE my TG and my bride and I really enjoy touring on it.

bronxbill 10-30-2011 08:07 AM

Have a 2011, been real happy with my decision to buy one.

1Vikingbike 11-05-2011 02:00 PM

Soon to be a new owner

I have just ordered a new 2012 Tri Glide to be delivered in March. I have never driven one before and I know that will be a new experience. The question I have is that the dealer tells me I need and should upgrade the cams. Most of my driving is on the highway and through the Rocky Mountains. I like to cruise around 65-70 mph, not a speed demon by any means. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks

zoood 11-07-2011 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by peeweesenior (Post 8974423)
My dad is looking at getting a trike and wants to know what people don't like about them. He is going to rent one to check it out but was wanting to hear from someone who has put some miles on one.

I dont have a Tri-Glide but non the less. I do ride a trike. What I don't like about a trike is that when your in tight twisty turns. Its more work steering than it is enjoyable. You can't lean the trike into turns like you can a two wheeler.

RJ

rdrunner 11-08-2011 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1Vikingbike (Post 9011559)
I have just ordered a new 2012 Tri Glide to be delivered in March. I have never driven one before and I know that will be a new experience. The question I have is that the dealer tells me I need and should upgrade the cams. Most of my driving is on the highway and through the Rocky Mountains. I like to cruise around 65-70 mph, not a speed demon by any means. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks

I think the best thing to do first off is to rent one for a day or two...thats what my wife and I did and I ended up buying a '11 triglide. Biggest difference for me was cornering vs the two wheeler, it takes a couple of hundred miles to get used to not leaning. If you do alot of highway miles you'll find it to be extremely comfortable and stable at slab speeds. Also, if you're driving in the speed range you mentioned I don't think you'll have to spend money to upgrade the cams....the 103 does a good job out of the box. We recently drove it from RI to Florida loaded with stuff with no issues what so ever! When driving on rough roads or avoiding pot holes etc its a little more difficult to dodge them with three wheels!