Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Hacked, Conversions and Trailering (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacked-conversions-and-trailering-100/)
-   -   what do you not like about having a trike (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacked-conversions-and-trailering/701776-what-do-you-not-like-about-having-a-trike.html)

peeweesenior 10-26-2011 10:46 AM

what do you not like about having a trike

My dad is looking at getting a trike and wants to know what people don't like about them. He is going to rent one to check it out but was wanting to hear from someone who has put some miles on one.

Randy Brian 10-27-2011 06:00 AM

I have a 09 triglide and love the crap out of it. It will get up on two wheels on a sharp turn if you are going to fast I have learned and will pop a wheelie also if you give it to much on a take off I have learned. 26,900 and change on it. Don't get me wrong it is a harley so I have had my problems with it but for riding if you have upper body strength it is wonderfull.

RB

spider2 10-27-2011 12:58 PM

I have a 2012 that I have put a little over 4000 miles on in 3 months. So far I have no dislikes about the triglide. Its more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Bubba49 10-27-2011 01:28 PM

I'm on my second trike. First was an 09 TG, the other is a 11 FLHXXX. I love them. You can't beat the comfort and stability of riding on three wheels. I've made some serious trips on both and I never get tired like I did on two wheels. The only drawback is the price of a trike (31-35K).

Bubba

hotshoe 10-29-2011 08:54 PM

The trike concept is great and I really enjoy it. Look at different makes to make a decision. A harley is problematic on it's own but the H-D motor company is only interested in selling bikes and clothing but not providing a trouble free product and taking care of their customers in my opinion.

Good luck

oldmsocko 10-30-2011 06:35 AM

There is NOTHING wrong with the TG. Like anything that is new it can have its problems. The biggest problem is the MOCO and the way they are supporting the warranty.
I LOVE my TG and my bride and I really enjoy touring on it.

bronxbill 10-30-2011 08:07 AM

Have a 2011, been real happy with my decision to buy one.

1Vikingbike 11-05-2011 02:00 PM

Soon to be a new owner

I have just ordered a new 2012 Tri Glide to be delivered in March. I have never driven one before and I know that will be a new experience. The question I have is that the dealer tells me I need and should upgrade the cams. Most of my driving is on the highway and through the Rocky Mountains. I like to cruise around 65-70 mph, not a speed demon by any means. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks

zoood 11-07-2011 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by peeweesenior (Post 8974423)
My dad is looking at getting a trike and wants to know what people don't like about them. He is going to rent one to check it out but was wanting to hear from someone who has put some miles on one.

I dont have a Tri-Glide but non the less. I do ride a trike. What I don't like about a trike is that when your in tight twisty turns. Its more work steering than it is enjoyable. You can't lean the trike into turns like you can a two wheeler.

RJ

rdrunner 11-08-2011 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1Vikingbike (Post 9011559)
I have just ordered a new 2012 Tri Glide to be delivered in March. I have never driven one before and I know that will be a new experience. The question I have is that the dealer tells me I need and should upgrade the cams. Most of my driving is on the highway and through the Rocky Mountains. I like to cruise around 65-70 mph, not a speed demon by any means. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks

I think the best thing to do first off is to rent one for a day or two...thats what my wife and I did and I ended up buying a '11 triglide. Biggest difference for me was cornering vs the two wheeler, it takes a couple of hundred miles to get used to not leaning. If you do alot of highway miles you'll find it to be extremely comfortable and stable at slab speeds. Also, if you're driving in the speed range you mentioned I don't think you'll have to spend money to upgrade the cams....the 103 does a good job out of the box. We recently drove it from RI to Florida loaded with stuff with no issues what so ever! When driving on rough roads or avoiding pot holes etc its a little more difficult to dodge them with three wheels!

TheBobs 11-08-2011 09:16 PM

Initially, working twisties was hard, but just required consitently using the "proper" technique. So that's no problem. Then, after riding 28,000+miles on a SE Road King with a 103" motor, I couldn't help but notice the extra weight and heat. Some mods done, the MOCO has already corrected some, and both issues are fixed for me. So 9,000 miles and two years into this experience, I can't think of ANYTHING I hate now. Test ride/rent one like you said and go from there. Trikes are too cool to pass up!!!

monsterdave 11-16-2011 10:01 PM

trike bike

At 62 and having a bad leg and ankle from a 1976 accident I did the unthinkable in the MC world. I converted an '03 Roadking into a three wheeler. Technically it is not a motorcycle. In Nevada you don't need an MC license to operate one and you don't have to wear a helmet if you choose. I actually like my bike more than when it was a two wheeler. Tell yon pops to go for it. They are very stable and love the open road.

Harley2012 02-27-2012 06:49 PM

Steering

Consider putting a rake kit on. Really helps when you are going slow.

ladyff1481 02-27-2012 07:21 PM

I agree that renting a trike would be of great benefit. You're probably going to find that the only rentals will be at the Harley dealerships for the TriGlide. Go to a bike rally and try out the trikes and Spyders. Most will have a demo ride, even many of the dealers will have a demo ride too. Maybe a used Trike off Ebay until he knows what he wants and likes.

teedubya 02-28-2012 08:22 AM

Not to side track your thread, but if your dad isn't totally set on a TG suggest that he looks at the Spyder RT model. I love my Ultra Limited and hate the idea of not owning a HD but the people at Bombardier have done their homework with the Spyders. I'd be in a dilema and would have to drive both three wheelers before deciding on either. Good luck regardless and enjoy.

Fat Cat 02-29-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by peeweesenior (Post 8974423)

Renting one for a weekend is an excellent idea to help your Dad make his decision. A short demo ride really won't be long enough....

My 2012 triglide is about a month old .....2200 miles....it is way too much fun to ride! My wife is very happy as a passenger too! Everyone's comments here are right on target.

Boom 02-29-2012 12:55 PM

I guess I must live in the wrong area. When I was shopping for my TG in '09, I asked about renting one for a DAY and all I got was a blank look and a stupid smile. "Sorry, we just don't rent out our Tri-Glides". Still don't think they have a rental policy on those trikes to this day. I had to wait for the MoCo to come around with their "dog-and-pony show" to take a free 10 minute test ride.

Larry6734 02-29-2012 01:10 PM

Trike bike

Tell your dad he will love a tri-glide, the wife and I could not be happier, have found nothing to dis-like about it.

Harley2012 03-07-2012 04:29 PM

I agree - rent one before you buy! If you will miss the leans too much, it's not for you. Other than that- it's the way to go.

DanDolfn 04-23-2012 12:11 PM

I had my 2011 Road King converted, mostly because of my wife's health issues.

You really don't notice a lot of difference when you're going straight ahead, but it's definitely different going thru turns. It's more like riding an ATV than a bike.

I did not get the rake kit originally, but I added a 5 degree rake kit later. It was like going from manual steering to power steering.

If you have issues that make riding a bike a problem, a trike is definitely the next best thing.

http://s7.postimage.org/8o6p5cc5n/Trike.jpg

TimAT 04-29-2012 10:49 PM

We traded an '07 CVO Ultra for a '11 Tri-Glide. Other than having to learn not to lean into a turn it's great. On the highway, trying to miss the bumps with 3 wheels is nearly impossible, but that's offset but not having to worry about sand or loose gravel in a curve.

Bottom line- I really miss the CVO, but riding 2 up all the time, it's way less stress. And that's worth it.

pigbike 04-30-2012 08:51 PM

I agree it is much less stressful on a trike. On the highway it really doesn't make any difference, but get in some traffic, and the trike really shines.

I hate being in stop n go with a two wheeler when you have someone on the back. With the trike it is no big deal.

Bnwhite 05-01-2012 08:42 PM

You should never have to struggle to turn a trike. The Triglide (for whatever reason) did not put a good rake kit on. The front end geometry requirements of a trike are totally different then a two wheeler. There are lots of companies out there that offer up to 11deg rake kits.
The best suggestion i can give you is to ride all of the conversions. The triglide was made by Lehman(solid axle) you might want to consider independent suspension as well.
If you are at all nervous on your two wheeler, get a trike. You can ride just as fast and have way more confidence in gravel, rain, slow speeds, whatever.

dutchmanmike 05-25-2012 09:47 PM

Triking

I have an '08 Ultra with MotorTrike conversion. Have traveled to 11 states and put on 33k miles. I stay off the 'superslab' as much as possible so you are talking many, many hours in the saddle. No complaints except that the 'twisties' are not as enjoyable. Too much work steering the trike through sharp curves.

Frostbite 05-25-2012 10:13 PM

I'm not a big fan of trikes - I bought mine for my disabled wife, so I won't give you the pep squad talk. That being said, it's a fine machine. We put 5K on in the first 3 months, with me still working fulltime.
They are right about the twisties, I did Beartooth with a group and told the others I would have arms like Schwarzenegger before we were done. It's definitely a workout.
Bumps take some getting use to - the back tires will move you sideways when they hit a bump.
Open highway is a breeze - set the cruise and let her roll.
You have to watch those big back fenders around gas pumps, etc. Dealer told me of one guy that ripped a fender off before he had a hundred miles on his trike. That had to hurt.
The wife absolutely loves it. She would probably get rid of me before the trike. And me? Well, it's not a bike. But between a trike and staying home? That's not even a question, is it?

trike guy 07-06-2012 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by spider2 (Post 8978602)
I have a 2012 that I have put a little over 4000 miles on in 3 months. So far I have no dislikes about the triglide. Its more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

only thing i don't like is the seat. uncomfortable. after having my 2012 3 days reverse motor burnt out

ZUTEDUFF 07-06-2012 02:00 PM

bought my wife a 2010 TG june 29th. she had a Fatboy but just never got comfortable riding it....She's gone right now with one of our kids out riding without me.....OH CRAP____ I may have screwed up........ serious......I've got a 2000 UC and I could get use to riding on a TG....All i can say is, " if you want to be in the wind....get it"....

NHEnforcer 07-17-2012 09:26 AM

IMHO, regardless of manufacturer of the motorcycle and/or trike kit manufacturer there ARE things you're going to have to do to the trike to make it comfortable for you. That being said, I have a 2011 TriGlide that I really like. The heat on the highway and back roads in 80 degree + weather is unbearable. I went the "Fullsac route" and spent around $1500 and the heat problem is almost non existant. There was an added bonus of added torque and HP as well. I ride with a club and have some power issues when taking off from a stoplight that I will correct this winter with some cams. We , as a club, ride hard and tight. The trike has a lot of mass to move, roughly 1600 pounds with fuel, passenger, and baggage. The 103 is a nice motor but if you want to get some punch you have to put money into it.

I have ridden 1500, 1800 Honda trikes, Royal Star Venture and Venture tikes, and a Suziki trike from CSC, Motor Trike, Hannigan, and Lehman. Personally I like the TriGlide best. There are several reasons but the most important (after comfort) is that Harley Dealers will service them without any hassle (as long as you don't have a trailer hitch).

I have very little use of my left foot and went the trike route because I love riding. A trike is much different than a motorcycle, but IMHO just as much fun!

Chums 07-20-2012 09:15 PM

I love my trike

I have been riding Harley full dressers for more than 38 years now. I broke my tailbone last year and can no longer ride my 06 Street Glide for more than a few miles due to the tailbone not healing. My wife and I flew into Jacksonville Fl 2weeks ago and picked up our new 2012 Tri Glide from Adamec HD and rode it home to Fayetteville NC that weekend. What a great ride and my tailbone did great!!!:

seahawkfan1765 09-02-2012 11:33 AM

I love my trike. I bought it used and my brother painted it for me. I am short and could not hold up a big Harley. It was 3 wheels or stop riding. I looked for a long time until I found a trike that fit my budget. Ride everything and then decide. I have a Motor Trike Trog (solid axle) kit on a 2007 Street Glide.

Glockmeister 09-02-2012 02:14 PM

Good thread, glad I found it, my wife has considered getting a trike and riding with me.

46u 09-05-2012 04:26 PM

I do not own one and do not care to but the biggest draw back is gas millage. All so it is not a motorcycle.

john510 12-11-2012 08:01 PM

I own a 2012 Tri Glide and after putting a few thousand in it in upgrades I love it. I serioulsy considered several options including kits of various types before buying.

While I am now very happy with my Tri Glide, next time I buy I will very seriously consider a Gold Wing and a Road Smith conversion kit. I think from what I have studied would be the ulitmate in engineering and reliability. (God, please forgive me).

*Southpaw* 12-23-2012 07:57 PM

I had my 2010 Road King converted to a trike this past summer. I love it! I had it raked out 10 degrees. That means no handlebar shake at all, and it handles no problem on curves or tight turns. Unfortunately it is now in storage (downfall of living in Wisconsin) Looking forward to a full riding season next year.

46u 12-26-2012 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by *Southpaw* (Post 10694094)
I had my 2010 Road King converted to a trike this past summer. I love it! I had it raked out 10 degrees. That means no handlebar shake at all, and it handles no problem on curves or tight turns. Unfortunately it is now in storage (downfall of living in Wisconsin) Looking forward to a full riding season next year.

Being a trike should not be a problem riding in winter. Yes I do not get the snow you get up there but I never store mine.

Hard Ride 12-29-2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by *Southpaw* (Post 10694094)

How about some pictures of that 10 degree rake...

Bosty 12-29-2012 08:19 PM

I have a 2013 Tri Glide I have had for 2 month and love the hell out of it. It has basically replaced my daily driver for many things. The Fuel mileage did suck at first, 30 MPG, but now that I have about 1,500 miles on it, and am now running Amsoil in it, it has improved to about 40 MPG which I can live with. You can't beat it for comfort, safety, and the cool factor. Now that I own one I will never go back to two wheels. It's a beautiful thing...

corky77 03-03-2013 06:01 PM

I have 1900 miles on my 2013 Anniversary TriGlide and the only thing I do not like about it is looking at it in the parking lot while at work. The wife says "awesome". We went to a TriGlide after we were T-boned last July and now have slightly weaker legs & ankles. Getting used to the 3 wheeler after years on a two wheeler wasn't as hard as I thought. What was tough was getting back on the highway 4 months after the T-bone incident. I didn't trust the cagers before and I never will. ENJOY!!!

EP50 03-03-2013 06:04 PM

Mathmatically if you round up its closer to a car than a bike.

acunn1 03-15-2013 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 46u (Post 10295342)
I do not own one and do not care to but the biggest draw back is gas millage. All so it is not a motorcycle.

By your definition...having three wheels isn't a motorcycle, then your bike with its sidecar isn't a motorcycle either...lol

:icon_crackup: