Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Convert or tri glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Convert or tri glide

I have a 2009 roadking
I have a motor trike dealer 3 miles from my house
Will I be happy with conversion,engine power,brakes,steering,and reliability ?...

Or sell it and buy a newer triglide

Really struggling with this ant advice will be listened to.

Hap

Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have looked at both options. Cost for a trike kit, installed with reverse, about 14K, and I would have a nice 07 trike with very little warranty. Sell the 07 ultra, maybe 16K since it has a new 103, add the cost that I was going to pay for trike kit, 14K and then I would have 30K toward a 33K 2014 tri glide, that has a warranty and all the new bells and whistles. When I get ready for the conversion, I am buying a new Tri Glide. Jim

Old 11-15-2013, 08:45 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you wanting a full fairing trike or a Road King trike? The cost of upgrading your RK to a trike will have to be considered for the costs of the trike kit with installation, the raked triple tree kit, the reverse ( if you feel you need it ) and swapping the front drive sprocket from the 32 to a 30 tooth one for more torque along with a new belt.

Im very happy with my trike conversion and currently have 53k miles on it

Old 11-15-2013, 09:23 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

The Triglide won't have any more power than you already have. I assume you have a 96 and the new Tri has a 103, but the torque and HP are not significantly different. With the Tri you are getting full fairing, tour pack, lowers, radio, and all the Ultra extras you currently don't have. If you want that stuff, go for it. Personally I'd convert. The Triglide is solid axel and the Motortrike is IRS. You didn't say how many miles on your king, but if it's reasonable, I'd convert assuming you like the style etc. of the Motortrike. It's a really good kit as are several others, so if the dealer is a good one, I wouldn't worry to much about the quality of the kit. Try browsing Triketalk.com for some better info on any of the trike conversions available. That's what I did and I'm currently in the process of converting my king using the Champion IRS kit with reverse and the raked tree. You would be getting a very nice onboard compressor for the air ride suspension. They also offer either a mechanical or electric reverse. My choice for reverse was mechanical. I really don't like the electric because it's either on or off with no throttle control on it. Motortrike, Champion, CSC, Hannigan, Roadsmith, and a few others are all good kits. Your choice. It gets to the point of choosing between a Honda or Toyota, Chevy or Ford kind of thing when you get down to the better conversion kits. With a new Tri you will have a warranty, but you also have year one of water cooling if that troubles you. Like I said, you also have a tour pack, fairing, lowers, radio, etc. and about $34K, $35K of bike to pay for. For me, the decision was pretty easy. I converted. I don't need all the Triglide extras and I wanted IRS and didn't need the added financial burden. Your situation may be totally different.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I can see myself on a trike some day.

The Triglide is solid axel and the Motortrike is IRS.
I think that right there is the single significant consideration.

IRS is a significantly better ride.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hapbob
I have a 2009 roadking
I have a motor trike dealer 3 miles from my house
Will I be happy with conversion,engine power,brakes,steering,and reliability ?...

Or sell it and buy a newer triglide

Really struggling with this ant advice will be listened to.

Hap
I already gave one wordy response. Let me be concise.
The conversion kit is top quality, power will be fine, the brakes have 12 inch rotors with 3 piston calipers, and reliability is top shelf. The steering is fine if you get the raked tree. It will be a little shaky at low speed and takes a little more effort in the curves without it.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Default Hey

Thanks 2000
I'm glad to hear from RK rider
I don't need to spend 35 k on bike
I have 9000 miles on bike and it's paid for
Conversion will be 12 k
Keep us posted on your conversion
Are you doing it your self
Hap

Old 11-15-2013, 07:55 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hapbob
Thanks 2000
I'm glad to hear from RK rider
I don't need to spend 35 k on bike
I have 9000 miles on bike and it's paid for
Conversion will be 12 k
Keep us posted on your conversion
Are you doing it your self
Hap
I'll post some pictures when it's done. Should be a couple of weeks before it's done. I'm doing some of the work, but the bulk is getting done by a Champion dealer. It's probably no big deal, but I'd rather they do the reverse and the tree. I tore everything apart getting it ready for them, so my RKC has no rear end now. The kit just came this week and they hauled my bike to the shop, but they have others to finish before they do mine. He estimated 2 weeks till I get it back. Fingers crossed. I tested a few before I made the leap and the Champion was the best fit for what I was looking for, but I looked at several nice kits that for one reason or another weren't right for me. There are a lot of quality kits on the market so there are plenty of good choices to pick from.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:10 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Default Any update

Did you save a bit by doing some of the tear apart your self?
Anything together yet?
I'm as anxious as you to see it.
Hap

Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife wanted to go to a trike so we both rode a TriGlide and a moto trike conversion. I knew before I pulled out of the driveway that I liked the Moto Trike conversion better as I had already been on the TriGlide. Everything about the Moto Trike seemed better than the Harley version.
To make a long story short she's having a Moto Trike kit installed on a new Road Glide right now. Actually I imagine I'll pick it up this week--hopefully. This is going to be more expensive than a TriGlide but we both felt it was a better handling and riding trike.

Quick Reply: Convert or tri glide