Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Going The Trailer Route....have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:11 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,744 Likes on 3,511 Posts
Default Going The Trailer Route....have questions

I used to have a single wheel inline trailer on a bike I used to own. It worked beautifully, tracked nicely, and when you leaned the bike over on it's side stand the trailer would lean as well.

I just picked up a used Kuryakyn hitch for my 07 FLHT. I has an 1 7/8" ball. Most of the used trailers I see for sale are two wheeled. Is that a problem for towing, I mean it's natural that the bike leans in the curves a bit, and what about parking on your side stand. Would the trailer bind? I did see something mentioned somewhere about some kind of a swivel hitch but I can't visualize how it would work. I imagine it would just bolt on to the tongue like a regular hitch. Does anyone have any info, pics, or links?

And don't get me started on 4-wire vs. 5-wire setups. I guess I'll figure that out once I've picked up a used trailer and seen how it's equipped.

Jim

Old 05-12-2014, 01:26 PM
flicksport1200
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never pulled a trailer on a bike before but I'd have to assume that there would be enough flex on the ball for it not to bind, i mean the hitch ball is designed to move in the coupling hitch of the trailer for curves and uneven terrain maybe I'm wrong and if so id like to know cause I'm thinking about one for my softail for cross country trips

Old 05-12-2014, 10:46 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The ball type will be good, I would find another inline trailer. Just a suggestion.
The 2 wheel type won't compare to it, however it will do good for you if you get a good known trailer maker.
I tried one with the car cargo type box. I went and started looking for a inline.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:58 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I towed a Harbor Freight 4' by 4' trailer to a rally for a couple hundred miles. I did not have to change my style of riding using a ball hitch. I kept it to around 65, and made sure the weight was forward in the trail and I almost forgot it was behind me.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:02 PM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I think Bushtec makes a swivel trailer hitch

Old 05-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Boss252
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Bushtec Turbo 2 it has a swivel heim joint style hitch. Towed it to Sturgis last year 1000 miles each way without a problem. I highly recommend Bushtec

Old 05-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

After about 40K I noticed that the fork that holds the ball in the hitch was starting to bend. I added a Dauntless swivel hitch and haven't seen the problem return. I've got well over 100K on the trailer now.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:42 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have pulled this rig thousands of miles, no swivel hitch, no problems. The ball is designed to rotate inside the coupler. I always put a light coat of grease on the ball before every trip. You can do a swivel hitch for peace of mind, I have not found it necessary.

It is a Harbor Freight Tag-a-long trailer. Less than $400 with coupon. It pulls very very easy, I rarely know it's back there. You can spend more money but this trailer does the job very well. The tail lights are junk, swap them out for LEDs.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:08 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

The Harbor Freight trailer shown below is a great little trailer...it's 4-wire, which means you'll have to add brake lights or running lights in the back to accommodate the 5-wire m/c setup and add a 5-wire round plug to both bike and trailer (same pattern). Buchtec is a $ brand (elite) and doesn't have anymore pulling clout than the HF trailer for less $.

Originally Posted by 472viper
I have pulled this rig thousands of miles, no swivel hitch, no problems. The ball is designed to rotate inside the coupler. I always put a light coat of grease on the ball before every trip. You can do a swivel hitch for peace of mind, I have not found it necessary.

It is a Harbor Freight Tag-a-long trailer. Less than $400 with coupon. It pulls very very easy, I rarely know it's back there. You can spend more money but this trailer does the job very well. The tail lights are junk, swap them out for LEDs.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:29 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,744 Likes on 3,511 Posts
Default Final Worry

Originally Posted by 472viper

Well, I installed the hitch (found on Kijiji), found a new 5 to 4 wire convertor on Kijiji and managed to find a brand new Harbour Freight 42.5X48 Trailer assembled (on Kijiji as well, got to love it). It was a private deal, seller had a buddy pick it up in the States ( I am in Canada) he thought it was 48" wide not 42.5" so it was no good to him for what he wanted. Just waiting for a car top carrier to go on sale so I can bolt it on.

But....I am still leery about the hitch setup for cornering. I mean I hit the curves at quite an angle and I don't know about how much the standard hitch allows for side to side tilting. I see mention of Bushtec and Dauntless, does anyone know of where I could get a swivel type hitch in Canada? Crappy Tire doesn't sell them.

Jim

Quick Reply: Going The Trailer Route....have questions