Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

06 RK, T-Max Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:23 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man, Destination HD?? My old man had a really bad experience with them in the past. They put the balancers in backwards and it totally f-d up his motor. They tried blaming everyone else....he doesnt let them touch his bike any longer.

Hope you solved it.....I just want to advocate for the t-max diagnostic tool. I used it before and it was a huge time and money saver. Symptoms were not all that far off from what you had, and after running the diagnostic Larry from t-max got back to me right away and recommended cleaning the IAC (sent me great instructions) and replacing fuel filter & engine head temp gauge. Spot on.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:40 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I think we're good.

So after a lot of grief, I think I'm there. All the other stuff that I mentioned really helped but was only treating the symptoms. My fix may still only be treating a symptom but it works and I'll keep it even after I get into the motor and find out if what I suspect is wrong is the root cause. I suspect the root cause is weak/degraded/hard umbrella valves and full sponges in the crappy stock breather assembly. Maybe even blocked oil return passages. New breather going in soon.
As time has gone along since my last post, the bike has run better, but incrementally worsens with time. Last weekend, I removed the breather plate, drilled and tapped two 1/8-1/4 brass nipples, ran them to a "T" nipple and vented aft of the swingarm. Bike idles and runs fine and no more oil in the intake. My bike just didn't like breathing all that vapor and liquid oil. (Interestingly, there is no oil dripping from the bypass yet). I'm going to reinstall the T-Max tonight and run it for a short time, but after that I'm going to bring it home, wash it, put her in the barn and prep her for surgery.
My box of love from FuelMoto showed up, and my box from Wild1 has been waiting for it for a couple of days!
Thanks for watching and helping. Now about T-Max base maps. . . .

Old 11-26-2014, 02:42 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmr1971
Oh man, Destination HD?? My old man had a really bad experience with them in the past. They put the balancers in backwards and it totally f-d up his motor. They tried blaming everyone else....he doesnt let them touch his bike any longer.

Hope you solved it.....I just want to advocate for the t-max diagnostic tool. I used it before and it was a huge time and money saver. Symptoms were not all that far off from what you had, and after running the diagnostic Larry from t-max got back to me right away and recommended cleaning the IAC (sent me great instructions) and replacing fuel filter & engine head temp gauge. Spot on.
Hey, almost didn't see this one. Thanks for the heads up and I'll explore this a little.

Where you at in KY? I'm from Kuttawa on the north tip of Lake Barkely. I'm transplated to Washington State, but I'm still a hillbilly at heart!