Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Harley 883 Iron Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 PM
ironlink
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley 883 Iron Starting problems

Hey fellow enthusiasts,

I'm a rather new harley owner... bought a 883 Iron last year and noticed over the past 2-3 months the ignition process feels more and more sluggish.

I have a 2014 Iron 883 XL and today I went to start it and it turned over super slow then gave up.

Steps I've taken to troubleshoot.

1- Pull battery, charge it with a regular battery charging unit (charged quickly in approx an hour)
2- Put battery back in, engine will not turn over as I hit the ignition, lights just go off till i release the starter
3- Try to jump it with my car, connected Pos to Pos, Neg on car batt to bare metal on the bike chassis. Same result the bike wont start.

Here is a youtube clip of what it does / sounds like...

is it still possible the battery is bad AND my jumper cables just suck? I know the cables are the dollar store special ones.

Any other steps I should take before having it hauled to the dealership?

cheers,

Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ironlink
Hey fellow enthusiasts,

I'm a rather new harley owner... bought a 883 Iron last year and noticed over the past 2-3 months the ignition process feels more and more sluggish.

I have a 2014 Iron 883 XL and today I went to start it and it turned over super slow then gave up.

Steps I've taken to troubleshoot.

1- Pull battery, charge it with a regular battery charging unit (charged quickly in approx an hour)
2- Put battery back in, engine will not turn over as I hit the ignition, lights just go off till i release the starter
3- Try to jump it with my car, connected Pos to Pos, Neg on car batt to bare metal on the bike chassis. Same result the bike wont start.

Here is a youtube clip of what it does / sounds like...

Harley 883 Iron 2014 Starting Problems - YouTube

is it still possible the battery is bad AND my jumper cables just suck? I know the cables are the dollar store special ones.

Any other steps I should take before having it hauled to the dealership?

cheers,
If jump starting doesn't work, you probably have a bad cable or bad connection. Check all the cables and grounds. You've got a bad connection somewhere in the battery/starter circuit.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:28 PM
ironlink
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
If jump starting doesn't work, you probably have a bad cable or bad connection. Check all the cables and grounds. You've got a bad connection somewhere in the battery/starter circuit.
i'll go over it again, thanks

Old 03-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

It's under warranty, take it to the dealer. Check for any stored codes. My 2014 Custom had the same problem even though kept on a battery tender. Dealer replaced battery and found a bad cell. Seems to be a common problem on newer Sportsters.