Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PV, bike wants to stall out. will not idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 01:58 AM
oldlefty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PV, bike wants to stall out. will not idle

i just started to use this PV on my new engine build. i got a down load from dynojet because fuel moto said they didn't have a map for me. installed the new map , flashed it to the bike.
i was heat cycling the new motor and notice it is very rich. i figure it will sort itself out after auto tune. so i get bike out to brake in the motor and it will not idle. wants to stall. even if i go into quick tune and set idle up to 1200 the bike will not go to a high idle. it stays below target that's on the screen. it will do this cold and hot. the bike runs okay, no popping or back firing.

what can i do to try and correct this? bike is still running super rich after an hour of auto tune basic.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:50 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by oldlefty
i just started to use this PV on my new engine build. i got a down load from dynojet because fuel moto said they didn't have a map for me. installed the new map , flashed it to the bike.
i was heat cycling the new motor and notice it is very rich. i figure it will sort itself out after auto tune. so i get bike out to brake in the motor and it will not idle. wants to stall. even if i go into quick tune and set idle up to 1200 the bike will not go to a high idle. it stays below target that's on the screen. it will do this cold and hot. the bike runs okay, no popping or back firing.

what can i do to try and correct this? bike is still running super rich after an hour of auto tune basic.
Many causes for this issue. Doubt it is the tune. Never saw one that wouldn't atleast idle. I would check compression. You didn't say what the build was so little difficult to guess what the compression should be. If it is off over 20 points between front and rear you probably have the cam to cam timing off a tooth. If both are 20 or 30 lower or higher than where you think they should be the both cams are off tooth on the main gears. Low is retarded and advanced is high. Running rich is not a symptom of an intake leak. Could possibly mis adjusted pushrods but the compression test will detect that also. Popping and backfiring is usually from lean condition and if it isn't doing either it is obviously rich as you said.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:28 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
Many causes for this issue. Doubt it is the tune. Never saw one that wouldn't atleast idle. I would check compression. You didn't say what the build was so little difficult to guess what the compression should be. If it is off over 20 points between front and rear you probably have the cam to cam timing off a tooth. If both are 20 or 30 lower or higher than where you think they should be the both cams are off tooth on the main gears. Low is retarded and advanced is high. Running rich is not a symptom of an intake leak. Could possibly mis adjusted pushrods but the compression test will detect that also. Popping and backfiring is usually from lean condition and if it isn't doing either it is obviously rich as you said.
well after i ran a few auto tunes and re flashed the ecm it runs a lot better. still has a tough time idling. it is rich at idle but it has to be something with the tuner setting because i have changed the idle offset and real time idle a little and it will idle at 14-1500 rpm just fine. it's when it gets down to 11-1200 rpm it seems to search and not stay at the target idle that i program into the power vision.

someone has to know more about these settings and what i can try.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 PM
chicken strips
Intermediate

autotune will not adjust how rich or lean the bike runs, it only dials in the VE (volumetric efficiency) of the cylinders. If you think your running to lean or rich at a particular rpm / map area then you can adjust it on your computer. You might be able to adjust certain parameters live but I haven't messed with that stuff yet. You can email Dynojet (or Fuel Moto if you bought your PV from them) and they can help you with your mapping.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:42 PM
chicken strips
Intermediate
Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

Originally Posted by chicken strips
autotune will not adjust how rich or lean the bike runs, it only dials in the VE (volumetric efficiency) of the cylinders. If you think your running to lean or rich at a particular rpm / map area then you can adjust it on your computer. You might be able to adjust certain parameters live but I haven't messed with that stuff yet. You can email Dynojet (or Fuel Moto if you bought your PV from them) and they can help you with your mapping.
thanks man. i did indeed buy my pv from fuel moto. they couldn't provide me with a map that was close to my build so i had emailed dynojet and they sent me a map for my 107'' , red shift 627 cams , 50mm throttle body and 2 into 1 pipe. after the auto tune sessions it runs way better but i have little idea on what i need to do as of yet. i've had it on the bike for 4 days.

i need to do some studying and get the manuals.