Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:48 PM
alzylstra3
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light

I have a 2014 wide glide and during the startup procedure the engine light does not always illuminate for the 4 seconds it states it should in the manual. When I turn the ignition on it will sometimes illuminate for a few seconds and sometimes nothing at all. The check engine light never cycles on when I flip the stop/run switch to on. The bike always starts and appears to run the same but this really bugs me. My friends bikes always do the same cycle of lights at startup. The dealer said if my fuel pressure was good during startup the light will not come on??? This sounds like a line to me! Anyone have any experience or knowledge about this?

Old 06-27-2015, 10:54 PM
alzylstra3
Advanced

I should mention that I had a stage 1 upgrade installed by the dealer using a screamin eagle super tuner and also had a security system installed at the same time. HELP

Old 06-28-2015, 12:48 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

I would first check to see if the bike threw any codes.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:35 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When you have the ignition on and the start switch in the run positions the engine light will come on to indicate the fuel pump is being primed. That can take up to 4 seconds but that does not mean it will always. The dealer is correct, if the fuel pump is already primed that procedure will be skipped or shortened.

If the bike has sat for a while (cold) then the fuel pump will most likely need to be primed. That is also when you may see the light for 4 seconds. If you start the bike again soon after the last shutdown you may only see the light for a second or two or not at all. It all depends on how much priming the fuel pump needs. It's important for you to document when this happens with what was going on before so you can be sure there is something out of the ordinary before you talk to the dealer. For example: The bike has been sitting for a week and the fuel pump does not prime.

Also, don't pay too much attention to your friends bikes. Different models and model years use different parts or manufactures. Even if you have the exact same bike as your friends I would not expect them to behave the same.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:59 PM
alzylstra3
Advanced

The check engine light should come on when I move my handlebar switch to run. When my light does come on it is when I turn the big **** on the tank to ignition. Does anyone else have a bike that does this? I have never seen one before. If the light is supposed to illuminate when the fuel pump is activated then my bike is not cycling through the startup sequence properly. I believe the dealer is right about the fuel pressure but that isn't when my light is activated???

Attached Thumbnails Check engine light-image-1506120244.jpg  
Old 06-28-2015, 04:45 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by enodrano
When you have the ignition on and the start switch in the run positions the engine light will come on to indicate the fuel pump is being primed. That can take up to 4 seconds but that does not mean it will always. The dealer is correct, if the fuel pump is already primed that procedure will be skipped or shortened.

If the bike has sat for a while (cold) then the fuel pump will most likely need to be primed. That is also when you may see the light for 4 seconds. If you start the bike again soon after the last shutdown you may only see the light for a second or two or not at all. It all depends on how much priming the fuel pump needs. It's important for you to document when this happens with what was going on before so you can be sure there is something out of the ordinary before you talk to the dealer. For example: The bike has been sitting for a week and the fuel pump does not prime.

Also, don't pay too much attention to your friends bikes. Different models and model years use different parts or manufactures. Even if you have the exact same bike as your friends I would not expect them to behave the same.
better read your manual what your saying is not rite.
every time key on run switch on eng lite on 4 sec if it comes on after 4more you have code in memory. if it's working like he mentioned mite check speedometer. has nothing to do with fuel pump.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:54 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by alzylstra3
The check engine light should come on when I move my handlebar switch to run. When my light does come on it is when I turn the big **** on the tank to ignition. Does anyone else have a bike that does this? I have never seen one before. If the light is supposed to illuminate when the fuel pump is activated then my bike is not cycling through the startup sequence properly. I believe the dealer is right about the fuel pressure but that isn't when my light is activated???
it's working rite. turn ignition switch on no lite flip kill switch lite on for 4 sec then out all is good. you have to have ignition on.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:47 PM
alzylstra3
Advanced

I didn't explain that well chief08. My starting procedure follows the manual, I start by turning the ignition on and this is when the check engine light comes on (sometimes). Next I flip the handlebar switch to run (my check engine light never illuminates at this time?) and I hear the fuel pump prime for a couple seconds. I then hit the start button. I stop the engine in the reverse order.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:31 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

The check engine light is not connected to the fuel pump to tell you it is bring primed. At key on, the fuel pump relay is turned on by the ECM, then if the ECM does not see the crank signal the EFI system shuts down.

The CEL should always illuminate at initial key on as a bulb check. It should then turn off. It will re-illuminate and turn off a second time if there are historic codes.

Your CEL comes on with the ignition switch. If the ignition switch is off and you turn on the handlebar switch it will not illuminate.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 06-28-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:57 PM
greybeard122
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 13 Fatboy and my check engine lite does not always come on when I turn the key on and cycle the switch to run. If it runs and starts, it's not a problem. I don't worry about it myself.

Quick Reply: Check engine light