Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

'99 FXDWG Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:07 PM
DynaDoc
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 FXDWG Won't Start

Hi all, struggling with an ignition problem, any advice would be much appreciated. I ride year round so the bike doesn't sit long but it is kept outside under a cover.

Back in May I went for a nice little ride and two days later when I went to start it up...nothing. It would crank but not catch, no spark. I was leaving the country for a month but when I got back the battery was dead so it wouldn't even crank. Bought a battery tender jr, charged up the battery and it would crank but still not start. I replaced the plugs even though the old ones were fine. The wires are only 2 years old and are fine.

The ignition coil I had tested at a shop and the mech told me it was testing bad (0 ohms) so I bought and installed a new one. No change. Got a manual and figured out how to jump the data connector and read codes based on the engine light flashing ans saw I had a stored functional error of code 41: crankshaft position sensor. Installed a new sensor today and no dice. I do now get a loud "whoosh' after I stop cranking the bike but still can't get it to start.

Followed a few flow charts in the manual and the next suggestion was the ignition module. Just replaced that and...nothing. No intermittent or weak spark, just no spark at all. I guess the next options are the cam position sensor (which I checked and looked clean and fine, I know those tend to burn up when they go bad) and the bank angle sensor (I don't know anything about those) but no one near me in rural NC has any in stock. I've checked for loose wires but I guess I need to get a multimeter and go through all the wiring with a fine toothed comb.

I feel like I've been throwing money at the bike and nothing is working so I'm reticent to buy the cam or bank sensors and while it's certainly possible there's a loose wire, I haven't seen anything yet. I've no way to get the bike to the local mech so he can hook up a scanalyzer (and I'm not sure how much I trust this guy, to be honest). Any suggestions?

Old 07-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

is your coil getting 12v power? If it's not, you have to trace that out.

Going from old memory here, I think you might be able to unplug the bank angle sensor ant try it if you suspect it's the BAS. Don't take that one to the bank though...it's been years since I had a bad BAS.