Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Won't start, disconnect/reconnect the fuel line and it starts

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:38 PM
TaylorT
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Won't start, disconnect/reconnect the fuel line and it starts

Title pretty much says it all. 07 Electra Glide. This has happened twice, bike keeps cranking but never starts. If I disconnect the fuel line and reconnect it the bike will start up like normal. Why does it do that? Is that an indicator that something is wrong?

Old 07-31-2015, 05:11 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

sounds like check valve screwing up. and yes something is wrong

Old 08-03-2015, 07:10 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Take a look at the internal collar on the quick disconnect. The roller ***** inside the QD will sometimes score the fitting so that it will not fit right., Jiggle it a bit and it will start.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:01 AM
TaylorT
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, so she stranded me again today. Today I road in to a doctors appointment, was there for about 30 minutes, came back out and the bike wont start. I've tried to do my research but can't find anything. It has a new battery, I can hear the fuel pump turn on and it just keeps turning over to no avail. I disconnected the fuel line on the back left underside of the tank, let some gas run out and some trash came out with it, looked like dirt or maybe a totally deteriorated O-ring. Still wouldn't start, I let it sit for like 10 minutes and it fired up.

I'm perplexed. The only thing I can find online is about people who's fuel pump will not turn on, mine does turn on and it still wont start.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I'm not sure of the mileage but at 8 years old I would start with the fuel filter, it is probably very restricted. It is in the tank and kind of a pain in the butt to change but do able. Good luck.

Last edited by TFTCAR; 08-04-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:54 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

There was a thread a while back about the "o" ring in the quik connects going bad and causing that problem. Sounds like you already think the "o" ring is coming apart. I would start there.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:47 PM
gregjo1948
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a venting problem. With the fuel line removed, will fuel run out from the tank? If not, remove the gas tank fill cap.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorT
... I disconnected the fuel line on the back left underside of the tank, let some gas run out and some trash came out with it, looked like dirt or maybe a totally deteriorated O-ring. Still wouldn't start, I let it sit for like 10 minutes and it fired up...
There should not be anything else other than gas coming out of the valve. If the pump continues to run then the fuel system is not reaching the proper pressure. I would suspect that there is something that has deteriorated in the valve or the tank that is obstructing fuel flow, or there is a hole in the system. Look inside the tank when it is empty. The hose from the fuel pump to the filter will sometimes develop a hole in it. You may have to remove the hose to properly inspect it. The liner in the tank could be peeling off. The o-ring in the check valve could have deteriorated. The filter could be clogged.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A bad o-ring below the piston wont stop the fuel transfer from the upper to lower fitting but if its bad it wont shut off when disconnected. Sometimes what happens on the fittings is the ***** get worn or they wear a spot in the lower fitting and that allows the lower part to not engage properly in the upper part to allow the fuel transfer. I worked where these are made . On some models and I cant tell you which ones H/D actually went from 3 ***** to 6 ***** to better hold the connectors together for that reason. If its not leaking when connected one thing you could try is removing the o-rings and pistons out of both the upper and the lower fittings and then reconnecting them keeping in mind the larger o-ring looking up into the tank fitting needs to stay as that seals around the black lower fitting to stop the leakage when connected. Be careful you dont loose the pistons or springs. If it runs after that then you know there is a problem with the fittings themselves.
REMEMBER THERE MAY BE PRESSURE IN THE FUEL LINES.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:32 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorT
Title pretty much says it all. 07 Electra Glide. This has happened twice, bike keeps cranking but never starts. If I disconnect the fuel line and reconnect it the bike will start up like normal. Why does it do that? Is that an indicator that something is wrong?
Been there and got the T-shirt. That quick disconnect collar has a spring loaded bearing, rubber collar etc. It deals with lot's of vibration on the engine side, and a static solidly mounted tank. Mine failed at about 60K miles. Bought a new one which is better upgraded part from Harley for about $60. The throttle body side sometimes gets poorly seated too.

Buy the new one and be done with the intermittent problems.

Quick Reply: Won't start, disconnect/reconnect the fuel line and it starts