Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dual Fire Coil gets very hot!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:05 AM
Goodwin_Inc
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Fire Coil gets very hot!

What's up! I'm new here. I tried reading and following guidelines so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum or anything.

Ok now my issue, I recently picked up a 1998 Softail with a 2000 Evo 80 and 4 speed kicker. The guy I got the bike from had two toggle switches; one ran power from the battery and the other is the headlight switch. There were a few loose wires. One from the ignition on the nose cover, I hooked that up to a terminal on the coil. Next I tested wires to find a hot leg. I now have a wire running straight from my On/Off switch on the bars, down to the other terminal on the coil.

With that being said, whenever that main switch is on (bike running or not) and sending power to the coil; the coil gets very hot. I assume that is not supposed to happen and get that hot.

My question is, how am I supposed to wire up the coil? I have a points system in the nose cone with one black wire, and also a hot leg going to the other terminal. Do I run a relay? Am I just totally wired wrong? Does it being kick start have anything to do with wiring it up?

Any helps is appreciated!
Thank you!