Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Intermittent low idle ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:56 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Intermittent low idle ?

It started this spring it rarely did it every other ride which haven't been many this year. But today it died a few times on me at a stop, it gets down low and dies. if I keep a little throttle at a stop it is fine runs good other than that, after I got home it was idling fine and did a couple of restarts a few times and was running normal. I changed the fuel filter and fuel lines to the throttle body 8000 miles ago. Is this a fuel pump problem or regulator? how can I tell, bike now has 33000 miles. Anyone have a idea? I was thinking of changing the fuel pump and maybe upgrading the reg to a little higher psi, and I guess I would change the filter again while its apart?

Old 11-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like it may be a dirty IAC. Try cleaning it with carb cleaner or some other cleaner.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Ezridr60
Tourer

Received 122 Likes on 47 Posts

I was getting the same thing on an '07 FLHTCU. It would intermittently idle so low that it would just die when you came to a stop. I was not getting a check engine light, but it was pulling a P0152 code, rear cylinder O2 sensor running rich. I checked and cleaned the idle air control, new air filter, new plugs (28,000 miles at the time) didn't make any difference. Finally took it over to the local Harley shop and of course they could not get it to show up. And ESP would not replace the O2 sensor. So I did it myself on my own nickel, (both front and rear O2 sensors) have not had a reoccurrence since, and I check for codes after every ride. I'm certainly not well versed in fuel injection systems, but it seems to me if the O2 sensor was showing a rich indication, the ECM would try to compensate by lowering fuel mixture to the extent possible, creating the low idle condition. Anyway like I said, it's been 6,000 miles since I had them change out the O2 sensors and I've not had a reoccurrence.

Last edited by Ezridr60; 11-06-2015 at 06:56 PM. Reason: clarification, O2 sensor was showing a rich mixture
Old 11-06-2015, 06:21 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

The bike is sad that it doesn't get ridden enough.

It needs a good long high speed blast. Preferably with some twisties thrown in for good measure.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:47 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

IAC requires cleaning, getting stuck or malfunction.
guessing this is for 02 FLHRSEI

Old 11-07-2015, 06:24 PM
shakrr
Road Master

I will check the IAC, I bought a new Tmax last winter and had a bug in it off the bat and I sent them a email it could be something in the map again

adm I throttled it hard playing keep up with a old buddie in sept enough to snap my belt lol

Old 11-18-2015, 07:02 PM
shakrr
Road Master

Thanks for the heads up Bodean turns out the IAC sensor was dirty cleaned it and seems to have fixed the issue

Old 11-23-2015, 07:24 AM
njmasterplumber
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shakrr
It started this spring it rarely did it every other ride which haven't been many this year. But today it died a few times on me at a stop, it gets down low and dies. if I keep a little throttle at a stop it is fine runs good other than that, after I got home it was idling fine and did a couple of restarts a few times and was running normal. I changed the fuel filter and fuel lines to the throttle body 8000 miles ago. Is this a fuel pump problem or regulator? how can I tell, bike now has 33000 miles. Anyone have a idea? I was thinking of changing the fuel pump and maybe upgrading the reg to a little higher psi, and I guess I would change the filter again while its apart?
I had the exact thing hap[pen to my 12 Heritage with only 5500 on it.Most of the time the problem is the simplest thing. So instead of jumping ahead to changing major parts shoot a little carb cleaner into the IAC port. Take a cuetip and clean out the port. I pulled out quite a bit of black soot on mine. Repeat the spray and clean till the tip comes out clean. This job will take all of 15 minutes including the air filter removal and reinstall. Best wishes!