Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Tune License Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Power Vision Tune License Question

I will apologize if this has been covered before, but I couldn't really think of a way to search it. My bike has been tuned with a Screaming Eagle Super Tuner Pro all of it's life. I have been considering a gearing change and the SESTP does not support this change. I can buy a license for my friend's Power Vision and make the necessary adjustments to the gear ratios. My question is will I still be able to use my SESTP to tune in the future. With both of them being flash tuners and being able to retrieve the programed tune from the ECM and work with it and then reflash it back into the ECM I don't see any issues but I would like to know if I'm overlooking anything

Old 12-27-2015, 03:19 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I hope someone with more knowledge than me chimes in but it is my understanding that when you flash your bike you overwrite the ecm so if you flash a map with the PV you lose the sepst mapping. Then if you try to load the saved sepst map to re create the tune you just lost when flashing the PV map with gearing changes you will lose all the pv mapping including the gearing changes. Why not just get a TTS Mastertune?

Old 12-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I hope someone with more knowledge than me chimes in but it is my understanding that when you flash your bike you overwrite the ecm so if you flash a map with the PV you lose the sepst mapping. Then if you try to load the saved sepst map to re create the tune you just lost when flashing the PV map with gearing changes you will lose all the pv mapping including the gearing changes. Why not just get a TTS Mastertune?
When the Power Vision is connected to the bike it saves the tune that is already in the ECM when the Power Vision is connected. If the bike has never been tuned then it saves the stock tune, if the tune has been modified before the Power Vision was hooked up then it will save whatever tune that is currently flashed. Why would you loose information that is programed into the ECM by retrieving the tune with a different tuner? Al that is going on is reprograming values that one tuner lets you change and another does not. Why would I spend money on another completely different tuning system and render my current one useless?

Old 12-27-2015, 08:14 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

So you answered your own question then, carry on.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:04 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

So you answered your own question then, carry on.
My question is "am I missing something". I am throwing out there the way that I understand things after much first hand research from the SE and the Power Vision manuals. I may not understand something that happens to the coding when a different tuning device is used that may render the original tuning device useless, if that is going to be the case then I will purchase a completely different tuner, at which time I may consider the TTS Mastertune. At this point a license for my friend's Power Vision to make adjustments for the gearing seems to be the most economical solution.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:02 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

If I am understanding things correctly you can't flash a tune with the sepst, leave it on the ecm , then reflash with a PV to do gearing correction and still have the sepst tune on your ecm. Sure you can save the tune to a stick but you can't have 2 different flash tunes from 2 different tuners on your ecm at the same time. If you buy the lic for the pv and do a gearing correction you need to be prepared to have your bike bike re-tuned with it. At least that's how I understand it. Heck I could be mistaken but ........

Old 12-28-2015, 03:12 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

I think it's a good question for Jamie at Fuel Moto. I think it's quite conceivable that what the OP wants to do just might work. The Super Tuner doesn't address the gear ratios therefore it just may ignore the gear ratios that the PV changes. I think you would have to flash the ECM with the PV changes and then reload the SEPST map. Pure speculation on my part---I bet Jamie could shed some light on the subject.
Let us know what you find out please.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:48 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

If I am understanding things correctly you can't flash a tune with the sepst, leave it on the ecm , then reflash with a PV to do gearing correction and still have the sepst tune on your ecm. Sure you can save the tune to a stick but you can't have 2 different flash tunes from 2 different tuners on your ecm at the same time. If you buy the lic for the pv and do a gearing correction you need to be prepared to have your bike bike re-tuned with it. At least that's how I understand it. Heck I could be mistaken but ........
I do appreciate your input, and what you're saying about trying to flash two tunes is correct, but that's not what I'm wanting to do. The reason I'm asking questions is to make sure I understand things correctly.

The way that I understand it to work is that the Power Vision will retrieve the parameters (tune) that is in the ECM already and save it. I should then be able to take this tune and adjust the gearing parameters in the winPV software without changing any of the other tables and reflash it to my ECM. What I don't know is will this effect the future use of my SE tuner????

Last edited by Fat11Lo; 12-28-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:53 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

The PV will save your existing file as the original. I'm not sure it will allow changes to that map. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:48 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

The pv will allow multiple maps to be saved. But you cannot use 2 maps at 1 time. This is what I think you are talking about doing. A change to the gearing is a change that needs to be saved to a map. Ok you do that. Then when you try to download your previous sepst map it will overwrite the pv map and all previous changes made by the pv will be lost. If you try it the other way, the pv will overwrite the sepst and whatever map is on the pv will be on the ecm. . I don't think ala carte is possible, I believe it's all in on one tuner. Hopefully someone with way more knowledge chimes in.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Tune License Question