The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Doing the Street Tuner Tango on a M8

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,317 Likes on 3,664 Posts
Default Doing the Street Tuner Tango on a M8

While I have a pretty good handle on how HDs and other speed density tuners work, I have yet to actually program the flash on one.. My EFI twincam bikes use Thundermax and the process on those is way simpler for tuning. Anyway much of this I know the answer but just want to verify the process.

The bike I'm screwing with is a 2017 107 ci RK (M8) with SE AC, TQ cams and Stock mufflers. I had the dealership install the stuff and while they did add 13 miles to the bike at which they claimed to have done one AFR tune, I would expect that they might have simply ridden the bike and let ECM set the long term fuel trims. I did not receive an updated file from them.

1. Since I did not receive the updated file and don't know if they did update the ECM, I'm guessing that in order to start tuning I need to re-flash the ECU to the base map for the TQ cam so that I have a good known starting point.

2. They say that the VCI module only holds about 15 minutes of data so it's probably best to collect data in a laptop to get more time.

3. Once the system is setup to collect data, I can't shut the motor off until the data collection is complete. Call it pass 1.. if I do I have to reinitialize the data collection process for pass 2. To use the data collected from pass 1 I have to process the data, update the map and flash the map before starting pass 2 or simply start over again and not use the pass1 data.

4. The street tuner seems do some version control.. Before programming you need to save the file. Saving the file copies the "working" version of the file to "last saved". When you program the ECU, the software uses last saved tables to program the ECU.

Does this all sound good?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 419 Posts

1. Since I did not receive the updated file
(IF THEY ACTUALLY REPROGRAMMED THE ECM IT IS FOUND IN THE VCI)

I'm guessing that in order to start tuning I need to re-flash the ECU to the base map for the TQ cam so that I have a good known starting point.
(YES, IF THE DEALER DID NOT FLASH THE TORQUE CAM CAL INTO THE ECM)

2. They say that the VCI module only holds about 15 minutes of data so it's probably best to collect data in a laptop to get more time.
(YOU SHOULDN'T NEED MORE THAN 15 MINS FOR A SMARTUNE IF YOU KNOW HOW TO COLLECT DATA)

3. Once the system is setup to collect data, I can't shut the motor off until the data collection is complete. Call it pass 1.. if I do I have to reinitialize the data collection process for pass 2. To use the data collected from pass 1 I have to process the data, update the map and flash the map before starting pass 2 or simply start over again and not use the pass1 data.
(YOU MUST PROCESS ANY RECORDINGS TO THE CURRENT CAL AND REPROGRAM THE ECM WITH THE CHANGES. PASSES ARE USED FOR PARTIAL RECORDINGS LIKE: pass1=1000-2500rpm, then pass2=2750-4000rpm).

4. The street tuner seems do some version control.. Before programming you need to save the file. Saving the file copies the "working" version of the file to "last saved". When you program the ECU, the software uses last saved tables to program the ECU.
(YEP)

(SINCE THIS TUNING DEVICE IS EMISSIONS LEGAL YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ADJUST SOME FEATURES THAT HELP THE ENGINE RUN BETTER)
Bob

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
1. Since I did not receive the updated file
(IF THEY ACTUALLY REPROGRAMMED THE ECM IT IS FOUND IN THE VCI)

I'm guessing that in order to start tuning I need to re-flash the ECU to the base map for the TQ cam so that I have a good known starting point.
(YES, IF THE DEALER DID NOT FLASH THE TORQUE CAM CAL INTO THE ECM)

(YOU SHOULDN'T NEED MORE THAN 15 MINS FOR A SMARTUNE IF YOU KNOW HOW TO COLLECT DATA)

(YOU MUST PROCESS ANY RECORDINGS TO THE CURRENT CAL AND REPROGRAM THE ECM WITH THE CHANGES. PASSES ARE USED FOR PARTIAL RECORDINGS LIKE: pass1=1000-2500rpm, then pass2=2750-4000rpm).

(YEP)

(SINCE THIS TUNING DEVICE IS EMISSIONS LEGAL YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ADJUST SOME FEATURES THAT HELP THE ENGINE RUN BETTER)
Bob
Not sure how I download the last file from the VCI. It shows that the ECU seems to be programmed with the correct map but has a -01 suffix.. Does this mean that the original map was programmed and is on the first revision? I don't see how it can download the file from the VCI.

BTW. bike runs great not sure what would make the motor run better. Might get a little more HP out of it but I doubt it would make any seat of the pants difference..

On of the things I noticed was that the throttle sensitivity seems to be cut back a bit.. I suspect that it can be corrected buy changing throttle progressivity.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:31 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts

The new tuner has some features locked out on it from the Super Tuner Pro. Harley is also coming out with an Auto Tune module that works with wide band O2 sensors that will tune not only low rpm/ light load conditions, but also high rpm/ high load conditions. Bad thing is that it is also only going to allow EPA compliant tuning.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
The new tuner has some features locked out on it from the Super Tuner Pro. Harley is also coming out with an Auto Tune module that works with wide band O2 sensors that will tune not only low rpm/ light load conditions, but also high rpm/ high load conditions. Bad thing is that it is also only going to allow EPA compliant tuning.
If the bike runs fine with an EPA tune, what does it matter? You are tied to a head pipe with a cat that might limit a few HP.. You are limited on cam selection as they have to be smog cams. I know Steve Cole is working on EPA compliant cams and tuners.. I look forward to what he does.

The current stage 2 M8 107 that I have is slower than my 95 ci RK and 103 ci EGC but it is way better then any stage 2 95 or 103 that doesn't pass emissions.