Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Red key Idiot light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:05 AM
BB06FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red key Idiot light stays on

I replaced my stock directionals (both front and rears) with LEDs and now when I start the bike up the red key idiot light (security alarm indicator) comes on and stays on.

Also the high beam indicator shows some light through it even when the high beams aren't on.

Any ideas? I am stumped!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:43 AM
bikerdog
Cruiser
Default RE: Red key Idiot light stays on

Last year same thing happen to me . The red key light stayed on after not ride my bike for 3 weeks. Dealer said it throw a code had to redown load on it . The on boarddionastist indcatated speedo had problems . dealer reset it said speedo had problems but if it happen again we would have to replace it. I have on 04 FLHT and I don't even have a securitysystem on bike.Idon't know if this if this will help or not. So far this year (knock wood) I haven't had a problem .

Old 06-21-2007, 01:52 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

I had the same problem whenI switched to LEDS. I had to adda load equalizer that was compatable with the HDsecurity system (TSSM?) even though my bike doesn't have one. My"red key"came on because bike would generateDT codes B1121 & B1122 (left and right directional fault.)

Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

Do a search. I believe there is a thread out there that mentioned a fix.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:56 PM
BB06FLHX
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

I had the same problem whenI switched to LEDS. I had to adda load equalizer that was compatable with the HDsecurity system (TSSM?) even though my bike doesn't have one. My"red key"came on because bike would generateDT codes B1121 & B1122 (left and right directional fault.)
Problem is I have an equalizer for the rears (fronts blinked same as stocks).

Old 06-22-2007, 10:42 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

there are two places trouble codes are stored. the ECM and the TSSM. when you have an ECM trouble code, the engine light comes on, when you have a TSSM code the key light comes on. With LEDs you should really use a load EQ per set of T/S. one for the front and one for the rear. more that likely if you install these, and have the codes cleared, the light will go out. otherwise if everything works correctly, i.e. the signals flash, dont worry about it unless the little red light really bugs you.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:35 AM
cjuetten
Tourer

ORIGINAL: BB06FLHX

Problem is I have an equalizer for the rears (fronts blinked same as stocks).

Yep, that how mine waswhen I installed the first loadequalizer blinked fine but got the Red Key Light. I switched toa TSSM compatable load equailizer and that took care of the red light, but they blink faster than stock. I'll be installing a load equalizer on thefront and one on the rear next week.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:49 AM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you disconnect the battery when installing the LED's? If so, I'd try to reprogram the alarm security code using the instructions in the owners manual. The reason I mention this is because I recently had to remove my battery and when I reinstalled it I had the security alarm indicator come on and stay on until I reprogrammed the alarm code. I too have LED's on mine and there are a few codes generated because of that. The local dealer said it is not a problem so I have decided to not worry about the codes.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:56 PM
BB06FLHX
Road Warrior

Thanks for the advice. I will try and re-program the bike since I did disconnect the battery before installing the LEDs and not after. If that doesn't work then I guess I will get the TSSM equalizer (yes the red light does bug me). Any thoughts about the high beam light shining even if it isn't on? (it is dim when the light is dim).

Old 06-30-2007, 10:13 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

The high beam light is probably just getting light from the key light staying on. Get it to clear and it might all clear up.

Quick Reply: Red key Idiot light stays on