Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help - Bike starts runs a few seconds and dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:25 PM
randyw
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Bike starts runs a few seconds and dies

I have a 2001 softail, FI.
It starts and runs a few seconds and dies. No spark after that. It seems I have to pull the dash and unplug the wires to switch, replug and it starts again for a few seconds. It's just like you hit the stop run.
Any ideas? It first happened while I was riding and I've been trying to figure it out but no luck.
thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Help - Bike starts runs a few seconds and dies

Tech Tips Online
July 22, 2002
No Start Condition
We have had reports of a no start condition on several motorcycles with Delphi fuel
injection. The problem occurs one time and does not return, so is difficult to
diagnose. When the condition occurs, a P1010 code - missing password, is
normally set. There have been a few reports of a P1009 code - incorrect password
also. We are still investigating the cause but it appears the turn signal module did
not get a complete message from the ecm at ignition ON so the engine starts and
stalls or cranks but will not start. If you receive a call from a customer with this
condition, or have one in your service department, try removing the ecm and
security fuses, wait a few seconds and reinstall the fuses. We have found this
"reboots" the turn signal module and the motorcycle will then start from that point
on. The historic codes will remain for 50 starts or until cleared.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 PM
hadacall
Intermediate

A friend of mine had the same problem with is bike. Spent many dollars and still had the problem, they changed out the switch that shuts off the bike when it lays over.That fixed the problem, I'm not surewhat it is called. you may have yours checked.
good luck,

Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 PM
randyw
Stage III

I tried removing the fuses but that didin't do it. Even unplugging the ignition switch isn't resetting it now. Just no spark.
Maybe it is the bank angle sensor?
thanks for both tips

Old 05-29-2011, 08:36 PM
BagelBoy
Stage I

My 2002 Heritage Softail experienced problem today where engine would run for 2 seconds and then shut off. Repeated a dozen times. Was instructed by another biker to disconnect the battery for a minute so that the computer would reset. Reconnected battery and bike started and stayed running. Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 PM
jstdadd
Intermediate
Default Just had a similar failure

Originally Posted by randyw
I have a 2001 softail, FI.
It starts and runs a few seconds and dies. No spark after that. It seems I have to pull the dash and unplug the wires to switch, replug and it starts again for a few seconds. It's just like you hit the stop run.
Any ideas? It first happened while I was riding and I've been trying to figure it out but no luck.
thanks
I just had a similar failure while out on the road this weekend. It was the System Relay - on my 2006 Heritage Softail it is on the fuse block under the seat, rear of the battery, and is grey in color. Part - $5.00. I think they should have installed the $10.00 one at the factory!

What tipped them off is that the fuel pump stopped operating.

Tow, $135.00 diagnosis, $5.44 (including tax) for part.

For $5.00, try it and see if it fixes the problem. It is a plug-in part.

FWIW:

-- Mark

Old 07-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Mats Bojjan Zettergren
Stage II
Default nightrain -00 carb

Have the same problem on my NT 2000 with a carbonater. It starts fine runs for a few seconds then dies. And wont start agin until you turn the ignition off then back on. And it all repeat it self. I have cleaned the carbonater twice! And looked it over. And cant find any problems there. So i can say that to 99% its not a fuel issue.

Last edited by Mats Bojjan Zettergren; 07-07-2015 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:37 PM
BayBridgeFxdx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mats Bojjan Zettergren
Have the same problem on my NT 2000 with a carbonater. It starts fine runs for a few seconds then dies. And wont start agin until you turn the ignition off then back on. And it all repeat it self. I have cleaned the carbonater twice! And looked it over. And cant find any problems there. So i can say that to 99% its not a fuel issue.
did you ever figure out the problem?

Old 08-28-2020, 10:43 AM
Goll
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 Road King

I had an issue the other day after my bike fell over(yes it fell over). After getting it upright and about 45min's later I went to leave and it would only fire up for just a few seconds and stop. I repeatedly tried and same thing. For some reason I turned on the security and then off again, and it started. I wonder if this reset the tilt sensor or something? I have been wondering if I was going to have a re-occurrence of this but, after reading the above post, I think it all had to do with it falling over. I hope!

Last edited by Goll; 08-28-2020 at 10:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rickscycle (09-04-2023)
Old 08-29-2020, 12:06 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Goll
I had an issue the other day after my bike fell over(yes it fell over). After getting it upright and about 45min's later I went to leave and it would only fire up for just a few seconds and stop. I repeatedly tried and same thing. For some reason I turned on the security and then off again, and it started. I wonder if this reset the tilt sensor or something? I have been wondering if I was going to have a re-occurrence of this but, after reading the above post, I think it all had to do with it falling over. I hope!
A little advice. Instead of piggybacking on a 12 year post you will be much better off starting one of your own.