Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

05 Road King SERT - Need two maps

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:26 AM
emclay
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Road King SERT - Need two maps

Have 05 Road King Classic TC88 with Stage 1 kit, SE Performance Mufflers (65115-98B), V&H Dresser Duals, everything else stock. The 127LF004.mt5 download is a good starting point, but probably does not take into account the true duals and elimination of the crossover. Anyone have an accurate SERT map for that?

Also, in Fall '08 I am going to switch to Andrews 26G cams. Will also change out the tappets for ones with a larger oil reservoir. Thought about putting in the Fueling Oil Pump, and of switching out the cam support plate and putting in Fueling's new "gear cam" support plate to take advantage of the increased oil flow. Needless to say this will all need to be re-mapped! Some recommend going to PowerCommander PCIII, but I already own the SERT, so thought I'd try that first. The basic map can be for TC88, SE Stage 1 A/C, V&H Dresser Duals, SE Performance Mufflers (65115-98B), and Andrews 26g cams. I know this will need to be tweaked because the Fueling Oil Pump will lower the oil temp, thereby cooling the cylinders a little and possibly changing the AFR slightly, but the basic map will get me to the dyno, at least! Anyone have a SERT Map for this, or can someone tell me where to get one that doesn't have to cost me? I will already be putting almost $2K into myride as it is! Any help would be appreciated!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:29 AM
flhtc07ok
Advanced
Default RE: 05 Road King SERT - Need two maps

Not knowing which revision level of the SERT calibrations you have, look for the one that says 'Shorty Duals', SE A/C, and stock heads, etc. and use it.

I was told to do this for my '07 until I could get it to a dyno shop. The reason was that because we eliminated the 'Y' pipe on the rear jug, and because the shorties that were used by H-D to model the map were probably baffled, they exhibit characteristics closer to our configuration.

I have the V&H Dresser Duals (same as yours but updated for the 02 sensors) running H-D Perf. Touring slip-ons (not SE II's). It's running fine enough for the couple of weeks I have to wait for my dyno appointment - pulled the plugs after five hundred miles and they looked good.

After you get done modding and spending 2G's for them, what's another $300 for a dyno that will put all of that hardwareto its bestuse?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:21 AM
emclay
3rd Gear

Sorry, my bad. My SERT version is v.4.12. I checked out the maps on the CD and nothing comes close to what you referenced above, in any configuration. But thanks for the quick response. I agree that paying the money for the dyno is a good investment..., just trying to not invest it all this year!Once I get the cams and support plateupgraded I was hoping to be able to run them in a little before putting the bike up for the riding season, and then gettingthe dyno at the beginning of next season. That's why I was hoping someone had a good SERT map for the basic configuration for the Andrews 26G upgradeI referenced above. My '05 configuration has probably been used by others, since it's been around for over three years. My current download seems to be working fine right now (plugs are VERY clean and it runs great), but it has not been dyno'd and was just wondering if anyone had a better tweak. I know..., I know..., if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to be the devil's advocate here but, what problem are you trying to solve with all of the expensive oil mods? Have you monitored your oil temps and determined that they are too high? I've got a very highly modified engine and my problem is that I can't get or keep my oil temps high enough, like in the 220-240 deg F range, thinking about pulling my oil cooler. Don't be one of the many who is so willing to spend on so much bling and then so unwilling to spend on good dyno tunes, never makes sense to me. Who knows, a good tune could solve the oil problems your having too. I know, I know, how you spend your money is not any of my business, just my FWIW.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:26 AM
emclay
3rd Gear

Not trying solve any problems except to replace the cam chains with gears. I don't want to have to constantly be worrying about the tensioners, so that mod made sense to me. We all know the life blood of our engines is the oil. I figured that since I was in there to do the cams anyway, I might as well consider doing that at the same time.I agree that too much cooling is not necessarily good, and the oil needs to reach operating temperature of 230 degress. But sitting for a long time in some traffic situations it can get hot, and I carry my wife with me on many trips. True, I am MOVING most of the time and it was just something I was just considering. If someone can tell me that adding the Andrews 26G cams to the stock support plate, using the stock oil pump will cause no issues, then I can do without the extra $800 expense.