Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

'06 1450cc FI - cough/stall when warming up then OK

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '06 1450cc FI - cough/stall when warming up then OK

2006 Dyna
1450 with Power Commander and custom Dyno'd map
Python 2-1
Screamin" Eagle backing plate with K&N filter
8,800 miles and stock injectors (bike ran well untill now)

My bike has developed a cough / stall while warming up. It will cough through the AC and will sometimes stall.

It usually takes about a minute or two of running before it does it...doesn't begin as soon as the bike is started up which makes me think it's more electrical than the intake gaskets.

I've cleaned the IAC (stepper?), throttle body and the sensor behind the butterfly. IAC is moving in and out just fine (the one located on top of the TB in front of the butterfly).

Have sprayed carb cleaner at the back of the TB where it bolts to the heads...doesn't seem to raise idle any. Hard to tell if it makes it miss any more. I don't like spraying it when it's warmed up, but should probably try it.

Removed PC and it still did it.

Checked the codes and shows nothing.

I've read on here, but most have the problem consistently or AFTER heating up...my bike will run great after it's warmed up. Runs fine for a few minutes on initial start up also.

It seems the problem develops at one certain point of the warm up. I guess it could still be the intake gaskets, but was looking for some advice or info.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Nobody can help?

I have put fresh gas in and even ran some FI cleaner through it...still having the problem.

I guess I'll take a shot with the intake gaskets.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been chasing a similar problem for months. I still have the stock 8 degree injectors, how about you?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
I've been chasing a similar problem for months. I still have the stock 8 degree injectors, how about you?
Yeah...been thinking they may be the problem too.

My brother and I both got our bikes at the same time...he got his replaced, but min ran great so i left it alone.

Both bikes are Dyno'd and run great...except now I'm backfiring.

I just swapped the ET sensors and plug wires and it's still coughing. I don't want to tear his bike apart to test parts on my bike!

Actually seems to be getting a little worse...and my new plugs look lean.

Does yours seem to be getting worse? Mine only did it on the warm-up, but now it's popping a little after it's warm...like after a 10 mile ride!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:00 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, I'm thinking it may be the injectors. I've been getting a lot of popping and backfire. My popping isn't decel pop, it will pop while riding at a constant speed I'm guessing in the low 2k rpm range. I've been hoping to find some injectors on ebay, but they don't come up very offten.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
Yeah, I'm thinking it may be the injectors. I've been getting a lot of popping and backfire. My popping isn't decel pop, it will pop while riding at a constant speed I'm guessing in the low 2k rpm range. I've been hoping to find some injectors on ebay, but they don't come up very offten.
No warranty for you either?

If this is the problem, I will either bitch about it being a safety issue or I think i read something about emissions.

No reason why a good dealer couldn't get it covered.

The thing that sucks is I have the PC and dyno tune so don't know how that would be handled.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:39 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

All of my local dealers told me they would look into it for me if I put my bike back to stock. Oh and none of them know anything about a injector swap on '06 Dyna's. I guess I'm the only one in my area.

I recently replaced the intank fuel pump line because mine had a pin hole. I noticed after I made the swap that while the pump is priming the injectors it also trickels some fuel out of the back of the pump into the tank. I'm not sure if this is normal of if maybe my pump is bad.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

I noticed a little more whining noise coming from mine, but if that was the problem, wouldn't it starve under a heavy throttle? tried listening for a sprayin sound, but didn't hear any.

Today i tried swapping coils which made no difference.

Would the injectors be a problem if I have a PCIII and custom tuning? I thought the problem with the stock inj. was fuel flow...which should be addressed by the custom dyno map I'd think.

I'm going to see if my dyno guy can re-check it...seem to be running too lean as my plugs are white.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:10 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm running with the Thundermax W/ autotune, but I don't know enough of what I'm looking at to understand the charts. I've tried changing some things and have tried different base maps and nothing has helped. I'm only getting 28mpg around town which seems rich but my plugs are kinda white.
Do the new injectors only control amount of fuel spray or direction of fuel spray? Please Keep me posted on what your tuner says.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:37 AM
flames64
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 Road King Custom that I have been chasing a surging problem at low speed, simular to what you are describing. I have the SE air cleaner, HD SERT and slip on pipes. Everything else stock. I had the 8 degree injectors and had them replaced yesterday with the 25 degree injectors but I still have the surging.

Quick Reply: '06 1450cc FI - cough/stall when warming up then OK