Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

6th Gear Light and Tmax

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 06:23 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 6th Gear Light and Tmax

Switching to a 49 tooth, from stock 46 on the clutch basket. Is there a setting in Basic for final drive to reclaim the light?
Ron

Old 11-16-2009, 06:27 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,966 Likes on 1,716 Posts

You swap it out yet? Wondering how you guys that are going this route and grinding off the rivets and putting on the new ring gear are making out. I'm interested in knowing how it feels as opposed to the EVO30 like I have.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by dawg
You swap it out yet? Wondering how you guys that are going this route and grinding off the rivets and putting on the new ring gear are making out. I'm interested in knowing how it feels as opposed to the EVO30 like I have.
Sorry, bikes in a million pieces at the moment. My best guess would be somewhere between stock and the 30 evo. At least, that was the plan. Most that put them on are really happy with the gearing change. 07s have the tallest gearing and I finally got sick enough of it to change something, since quite a bit of my riding is with a friend that has a VStar and Raider. With the speeds around here that will put me in sixth to his fifth. Right now it's not quite enough for sixth, but reving too much in fifth. You know, that in between thing.
Ron

Old 11-18-2009, 03:53 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Try pages 84 and 85 in the tuning manual. Make sure your firmware is updated, too. Not just on the map but in the module when linked. You probably have already done these things, but it was fresh in my mind since I just read the manual.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:37 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by nevil
Try pages 84 and 85 in the tuning manual. Make sure your firmware is updated, too. Not just on the map but in the module when linked. You probably have already done these things, but it was fresh in my mind since I just read the manual.
Thanks, I did look it over, but those are default settings. This sprocket change will require a different setting, somewhere to sinc rpm and speed to reclaim the light once again. I believe the( final drive setting) has to change but not sure.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 11-18-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, I wasn't sure that's what you wanted. I've called customer support at Zippers a few times and they might be able to help. I've always talked to Randy, at 410-579-2100 x 120.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,966 Likes on 1,716 Posts

The 49 tooth is stating that it's not compatible with 6th gear light or cruise control. The 30 tooth comp sprocket stated that it wasn't compatible, but I didn't lose cruise control. I wonder if a 49 tooth ring gear would fug up cruise or not.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:17 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by nevil
Yeah, I wasn't sure that's what you wanted. I've called customer support at Zippers a few times and they might be able to help. I've always talked to Randy, at 410-579-2100 x 120.
Yup , emailed him, but I don't think he understands wtf I'm talking about with a change in new engine rpm vrs old rpms on the primary side for the 6th gear. He sent me a formula for calibrating the speedo instead. That was never an issue.
Ron

Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Hey, I would just call him and make sure he understands what you need. Wish I could help you more.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious. What activates the sixth gear light? Is it a switch on the shift drum like the neutral light?

With the 5 speeds a primary gear change doesn't affect the speedometer calibration. Engine rpm and the counting of the fourth gear teeth determine speedometer reading.

Did some research and it seems that rpm and speed information to the ECM turns on the sixth gear light. Now I see what your concern is.

It seems that 6th gear MIN TPS is the setting that you would change. I would think that the higher rpm would require a higher MIN TPS setting.

Last edited by ajayrk; 11-19-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 6th Gear Light and Tmax