Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HD garage door opener kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:17 AM
NoSweatRoxAtlanta
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD garage door opener kit

Has anyone installed the HD garage door opener kit that enables operation of the door by toggling the highbeam switch? I was looking at the on-line instructions and they weren't 100% clear about the wiring. The instructions include running two wires from the opener's transmitter under the gas tank, and then cutting the two wires from the headlight to make the splice into these two wires. What about the existing wires that were going to the headlight are they included into the splice or do they remain un-connected?

Not sure if having a built-in garage door opener is worth the time and money....probably cheaper to just buy an additional garage door transmitter from Lift Master.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 AM
beerguz
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about that kit, but I do know that carrying an extra opener doesn't work. I have a liftmaster opener, and it keeps frying batteries, only works a couple of times then nothing. I'm thinking it has something to do with the vibration. Works o.k. when I'm driving my 4-wheeler.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:40 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I got a key fob style and size opener from Home depot.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 AM
CheezyRiderAZ
Advanced

Before you go with the HD opener, do a search for "Flash To Pass" garage door opener. I know they're on E-Bay too.
I've heard the HD opener is tough to install but this one's pretty simple and straight forward. You can get up to four transmitters for other vehicles that will work on the same opener. I've had mine for about three years now with no problems. It's proly cheaper than the HD one too...

Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

I have the HD opener on my Ultra. Very good investment for me. The wiring instructions suck though. You do have to hook all light wires back together with the transmitter wires. I just skinned 1/2" of insulation off the headlight wires and cold soldered the transmitter wires to those and covered with liquid electrical tape. No problems. If you follow HD instructions, you will have two wires dangling loose and it won't work.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:52 AM
soundman
Road Captain

I never liked the idea of wiring the opener to the high beams. That means your transmitter is working anytime you have your high beams on. This might not be an issue to those that never ride at night, but I ride at night a lot. Can't help but think its not good for the transmitter to be 'transmitting' the whole time I've got my brights on. There's other cool ways of wiring up the opener besides the high beams. JMO

Old 04-14-2010, 12:45 PM
NoSweatRoxAtlanta
Novice

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:57 PM
dogcop727
Road Master

have one on my dyna and love it. the install was not as bad as you think. once you look at the kit there is not much to it. the relay on the system only activates when you cycle the hi/lo switch. not transmitting at all times.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

go to radio shack, get you a momentary button, go to HD get you the rubber boot that is on your trip/odemeter. get you a garage door opener, open it up, remove the button that is soldered to the board, solder 2 wires leading from the proper holes in the board where you pulled the button out of, wrap it up in a ziploc bag, tie wrap the bag and opener to your harness in the fairing, drill a hole in your fairing to the right of the radio in the same location as your odometer button, mount it, put the rubber boot on it and you're done. no splicing into anything. mine has been in the fairing since 08 and hasn't failed once, not even the battery....

Old 04-14-2010, 02:00 PM
soundman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dogcop727
have one on my dyna and love it. the install was not as bad as you think. once you look at the kit there is not much to it. the relay on the system only activates when you cycle the hi/lo switch. not transmitting at all times.
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't know there was a kit with a momentary relay. Most guys wire the high beam to the remote directly from what I've heard. Thanks Dogcop

Quick Reply: HD garage door opener kit