Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Anyone install SE Ignition System, help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:34 PM
bigpapakus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone install SE Ignition System, help?

I am looking to install the Screaming Eagle Ignition System on my 03 carb. Softail. Harley Part # 31781-00. This is the street legal ignition module and coil combo. In the Harley catalog it says moves rev limiter to 6200 rpm. That is all it says. I am wondering if it does anything else, advance timing, hotter spark, anything? Single fire? If you have installed this can you tell me if you can tell any difference? Benefits? Anything Negative? Difference in performance? Only engine modes are rejet kit and Vans and Hines drag pipes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:37 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone install SE Ignition System, help?

THere are 3 versions. One that simply raises the rev limit, one for mildly built engines that retards timing by 5 degrees and one for higher compression motors that retards timing by 10 degrees.
Look at the descriptions and you will see. there is NO advantage to buying a race one (with retarded timing) if you have a stock or very mildly modified motor - you will lose power due to lack of timing.
Your descriprion of your motor is stock with pipes so your motor would want the most timing so you would want simply a rev limit bump.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:07 PM
bigpapakus
Advanced

So with the stage 1 and pipes you say I wouldn't benefit any with ignition/coil other than a higher rev limiter? In your opinion-would I just be throwing money away or does this give any more power with a bigger spark or anything?

Old 11-20-2006, 08:37 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your only benefit would be the rpm increase. There are many, many big motors running with stock ignition systems making big power. Again, for you motor you do not want to retard timing, just bump the rev limit. In reality however, a stock motor has peaked and started to decline by 6200.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:31 AM
bigpapakus
Advanced

Is that easy to check? How do I check it? Can it be checked by taking the derby cover or inspection cover off or do I have to take the whole outer primary off? Where is it located? The only nut I remember seeing is the one that hold the tensioner on. I rode my bike today but not very much and it seems like it may have gone away now that I have changed the oil but not sure yet. I will take a long ride tomorrow and see if that does it.

On another note, I replaced my plugs to the champion plugs RA8HC and it seems like now when it is cold it doesn't want to stay running as good as with the harley plugs? Anyone experience this?

Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 AM
bigpapakus
Advanced

Sorry.. That last response was suppose to be for my other question.. I posted on the wrong one.. sorry..

Thanks for the advice.. You saved me 199.00.... Just a note,, I found the kit on Ebay brand new for $105.00