Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2005 FXST Intermittent Start/Crank/"Click"

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:11 PM
tjmoening
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2005 FXST Intermittent Start/Crank/"Click"

Suddenly have a starting issue with my 2005 FXST. Sarted awesome for the past 4 years with the original Harley battery that was in the bike when I got it. I think it was the original battery. Last week I replaced the tired battery with a new one. The new battery was fully charged when I installed it and it started the bike no problem. Rode the bike several times, no starting problems. This week I take the rear tire off and get a new one installed on the rim. I install the wheel back on the bike. The bike starts no problem 2 or 3 times after this work was done and then all off a sudden I get a "click" under the seat one time.....I push the start button again and she cranks and starts. Kind of bothered me, but it didn't do it again for a while. The 2 days ago, the bike "clicks" again. It is single "click" when I push the start button in. I push the start buttton several times, each time I get a single "click". I pull the seat off and find the "click" is the starter relay. I continue to push the start button and the relay "clicks" each time but the starter wont engage. Then, the starter engages and the bike starts. I shut it off, I push the start button and the bike starts again. I shut it off and try again, now a "click" from the relay again, no start. I ordered a new starter relay and installed it.....same issue, the relay clicks. I cleaned all my battery connections so they are like new. Battery is holding at 12.79 volts and is a week old. Does it sound like I have a dirty or bad connection somewhere? Did I jar something loose doing the new battery install or installing the rear tire? Is there a frame ground I may have jarred loose? Any help is appreciated.....lits almost riding season!!! Thanks!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 PM
tjmoening
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed!!

Alright.....so I post this question on here and go outside to tinker and try and figure out this starting issue and within 2 minutes......after 2 days of trying stuff......I figure out the problem! The small green wire that comes out of the srater relay plug in and connects to the solenoid was the culprit. I must have jarred it somehow while doing my work and it was pulled way out and loose on the top of the solenoid housing, barely making contact. I took a long screw driver and pushed the spade connector all the way back onto the solenoid housing and it cranks everytime again! Figured I'd post this in case anyone is running into any similar issues. Sometimes it is the easiest quick fix......but usually not for me!!! I guess I got lucky and din't have to drop a bunch of coin into a new starter or anything!!! Good riding eveyone!!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

check your ground cable from the battery to where it terminates. I believe it's somewhere close to the starter but I'm not 100% sure about that. Check that connection real close. some of the internal wires in the bundle (it's a stranded wire) may be corroded or broken. Cheap replacement part