Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Resetting a SEPST...possible for us?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Springerkidd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Resetting a SEPST...possible for us?

Is there a way for the public to reset the Se pro super tuner to use on another bike? Crashed and have a new bike, and want to save buying another one.
And before everyone says it can't be done, I know it can..by HD at least. The dealer was tuning my old bike during a storm and lost power in the middle of a re-flash. It ruined my ECM. They paid for the new ECM and I had to wait two weeks while they sent my tuner to HD to be reset. Then they were able to remarry it to the new ECM.
Funny how the dealers say it can't be done, but when its their dime they are able to get it done. I got a new ECM and my old tuner back(with my markings on the tuner showing which bike it went to)
I haven't seen anywhere where the public has figured it out yet though.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain

Being this is a public forum that wants to stay in the good graces of the mother company, I mean Harley Davidson, you most likely wont get that info here.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Springerkidd
Advanced

"Stay in good graces" Not sure that really matters here. There is plenty of MoCo bashing going on in here and is plenty of support for other "tuners" here as well. I can't get this one reset, I'll buy a TTS. I buy as few overpriced Pakistan made MoCo branded items as I can. Thank goodness we can count on the aftermarket to address our needs. lol

Old 10-07-2013, 08:09 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing to bash the MoCo, but suggesting how to violate terms of service concerning any manufacturer's product is another issue. True, under these circumstances I'd likely want to be able able to cut my investment in my VCI over to my new ride but then how do you control those that would inevitably abuse this ability.

There are a lot of TTS proponents and it does have almost a cult like following but I believe it has the the same restrictions.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Springerkidd
Advanced

Is it a violation of the TOS? I have never received a copy of a TOS or was required to sign one with any VCI purchase...and have purchased a few dozen for past engine builds. I really try to give the MoCo as little money as I can, but most good tuner/dyno guys out there are familiar with it, so it made the most sense to use the HD VCI.
The MoCo could reset them for the public for a fee that is less than a new one, and most folks would be happy with that. I have not contacted TTS to see if they offer that option.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 AM
tgshoe
Road Captain

Why buy a Harley then try and give them as little money as you can? Never understood that. TTS is the same, except you can purchase a second license for a single unit for $200 for a total of two bikes, and also made overseas. You might consider Powervision as well. Complaining about and bashing MOCO does not give them any legal grounds. Passing out information on how to violate their patents surely will. I don't care about offending them or anyone else for that matter. That is not the point. It is a legal issue for this forum. As far as terms of service goes it is a generally accepted principle of law that the use of a product not for it's intended purpose is a violation of it's allowed use. Whether a company chooses to pursue that is unlikely but if you go placing info on how to do it where thousands can access it I guarantee you will eventually draw someone's attention.

Last edited by tgshoe; 10-07-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Springerkidd
Advanced

I appreciate your input and I agree with you 100% if its illegal. But I have not seen any patent or TOS documentation that would suggest it would be illegal..not saying it doesn't exist, I just haven't seen it. If someone can provide that information, I would appreciate it.

"As far as terms of service goes it is a generally accepted principle of law that the use of a product not for it's intended purpose is a violation of it's allowed use." ...while that may have warranty implications, I do not believe there is legal implications for using a product not for its intended purpose. Can apple sue me for jailbreaking my iPhone? Surely the MoCo can't sue us for all non-MoCo mods done to our bikes..or for flat track racing sportsters...and I am pretty sure Oneida can't sue my wife for using one of their butter knifes for a screwdriver(instead of the 25 in my toolbox)
Typically, a TOS must be presented to and acknowledged by the end user to be valid.

As for as not supporting the MoCo by buying their substandard parts? I try to put the best quality components on my bikes and more times than not, that means no HD logo on the box. I have thousands of reasons...4 cam tensioner replacements on my bikes on my dime, a bagger front engine mount failure denied because of a trailer hitch on the bike(although they warrantied on one without a trailer hitch). I had one customer I put a trike conversion on who's radio was taking in water and was denied warranty work because the trike voided the warranty..on the radio?! Seriously?!

Again, if someone can provide the proper documentation regarding that it violates the law to reset the VCI, I would be thankful. I would not encourage anyone to do anything that could get them sued.

At least TTS will let you send in your tuner and "upgrade" it for a second bike..they charge $200 but that is less than a new one.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Fine, get a TTS.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Springerkidd
Advanced

Well fine then! Maybe I just will!(Stomps off to room and slams door)...

But seriously, I am just looking for information... facts, not opinions. Many peoples opinions of what's legal will cost you probation time. Lol.

I accept the fact that no one is sure of the legal implications, and no one seems to know how to reset it anyway..which means not worrying about breaking the law with something I can't do anyway. and unfortunately no savings on a VCI for the new scoot.

Thanks again for your input.

BTW...thanks for your service. I am proud to say my 8 yrs in Army was something I would do all over again in a heartbeat.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

I think if you look at the majority of these types of products you'll find that they are for the most part designed to work only on a single bike/ECM. I have an SEPST, if my bike gets replaced I'll need to get another one. Sucks but it is what it is. Maybe the Motor Company should have a program where the dealer can reset it once they confirm you no longer own the old bike/ECM but you know how people are always trying to "beat the system".

Thanks for your service.

Quick Reply: Resetting a SEPST...possible for us?