Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starts and idles fine, dies when I gas it???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:54 AM
quadhauler
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts and idles fine, dies when I gas it???

03 Road Glide with fuel injection. Went for a ride about a month and a half ago and it ran perfect. Started it up today to take a put, and while sitting there innuetral I can rev it fine, but when I take of down the road, anything past 1/4 throttle and it just falls flat on it's face. Literraly just dies, return the throttle and it idels perfectly?? Any idea's on where to start? 18k miles never had an issue before this..

Thanks!!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:19 PM
disturbedvn
4th Gear
Default RE: Starts and idles fine, dies when I gas it???

You might want to check for a intake manifold leak. Start bike take a can of brake clean with a nozzle on it spray towards manifold and cylinder head mateing surface. (use short burst of spray) see if idle changes. Be sure not to spray it toward the air filter the spray mist could be pulled into the carb and give false results. Thats all that comes to mind for now good luck.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Possibly a fuel delivery issue, plugged fuel filter or weak fuel pump. I'm not sure where the filter is located on your bike but replacing it would be my first shot. Beyond this a fuel pressure test is in order, requires an adaptor tool and guage. I permanantly installed this adaptor tool and installed a fuel pressure guage on it for my bike so I can monitor fuel pressure, a must for the DIY EFI mechanic.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:04 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't say how full the tank was. Either way, the 03's had (have) a problem with the fuel line being too long and it drops too low in the tank and rubs, eventually ending up with a hole or more in the line. Mine started sputtering at half a tank. When they pulled the line, it had 3 holes in it. The dealer replaced it and covered it under emissions, no charge.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:51 AM
quadhauler
Stage IV

It's got a full-full tank, topped it off before parking it. Tell me more about the adaptor tool and installedfuel pressure guage gg? Thanks for the tips, at least I have somewhere to start. I've been fixin bikes my whole life and would hate having to take it to the shop. Never messed with FI though...

Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 AM
geargrinder
Road Master

I think 2duece is on to something, if that internal tank hose hada smallhole worn in it, it would lose pressure andyou would have this problem no matter how much fuel is in your tank. It's an internalplastic hose that runs from the outlet of the fuel pump to the tank's outlet hose coupler.

I'll try to get back with you yet this morningwithsome PNs for this fuel pressure monitoring systemthat I'm using.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:11 PM
geargrinder
Road Master

As I indicated in my previous post that I would be getting back with some part numbers. The Fuel Pressure Guage Adaptor's PN is HD-44061 avail from HD Dealer, I can't remember price.. A good Fuel Pressure Guage is an Accel PN 74725, approx $50.00that comes with an adaptor that you can remove. Whatever guage you get, don't go too cheap because many will not hold up very longdue to the vibrations of the bike. Hope this answers your questions, let us know if not.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
quadhauler
Stage IV

Is the internal tank hose replaceable? Thanks for the part #'s GG I'll be looking into that for sure.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM
hogmech
6th Gear

Try this, I go with the simple things first, you know, the "k.i.s.s. theory", check the injectors harness under the tank. they had a problem with the ty strap being put on too tight and this was wearing a hole in the harness and grounding out. also,try pulling off the air cleaner outer cover and see if it will run like that. I have seen them become a "condo" for mice and their families to get away from it all!!!! while we are on the subject of mice take a flash light and check both exhaust pipes for an obstruction in either of them. I hope this helps with out throwing a lot of money out the window.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:40 PM
hancycle
Stage III

I would also check the throttle position sensor. If the FI does not see that the throttle is open, it will not supply fuel.

Quick Reply: Starts and idles fine, dies when I gas it???