Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

horn question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question horn question

i have a 2012 EGC and recently installed some of jason's cooling fans. the stock horn is very weak and i had a wolo mini air horn that i really liked. when the fans were installed, the wolo did not fit and i have the stock horn back on there now.

i see that the moco has a new stock horn available...supposed to be 5 decibels louder than stock. is that enough louder to make a difference? is there a loud horn(brand not important) available that will fit exactly in place of the stock horn without modification?

i have no mechanical ability and need something that is truly plug and play. your help is appreciated.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:11 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,251 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
i have a 2012 EGC and recently installed some of jason's cooling fans. the stock horn is very weak and i had a wolo mini air horn that i really liked. when the fans were installed, the wolo did not fit and i have the stock horn back on there now.

i see that the moco has a new stock horn available...supposed to be 5 decibels louder than stock. is that enough louder to make a difference? is there a loud horn(brand not important) available that will fit exactly in place of the stock horn without modification?

i have no mechanical ability and need something that is truly plug and play. your help is appreciated.
`Sounds like you may have wired something incorrectly. Check everything. If you have access to a good multimeter, use it.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:23 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

the stock horn works as intended..it is woefully short on noise. the question is has anyone tried the "new" stock horn or can recommend another horn that will fit in place of the stock horn without modifying brackets or other wise jury rigging the set-up. something that is loud. remember that it has to maintain a shape very similar to the stock horn so as not to interfere with the cooling fans.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,251 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
the stock horn works as intended..it is woefully short on noise. the question is has anyone tried the "new" stock horn or can recommend another horn that will fit in place of the stock horn without modifying brackets or other wise jury rigging the set-up. something that is loud. remember that it has to maintain a shape very similar to the stock horn so as not to interfere with the cooling fans.
Was the stock horn louder before you did any mods? If so, you probably have something wired wrong, or the fans are pulling too much current and dropping the voltage to the horn. Is the horn louder when the fans aren`t running? "Woefully short on noise" sounds like one of the said possibilities may be the problem.

Last edited by hvacgaspiping; 02-05-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

the stock horn is pitiful on these bikes...that is why i had put the wolo horn on in the first place. the cooling fans only work when the motor is hot and are not on at most times...i have not tried the horn with the cooling fans running. the question is does anyone know of a loud horn that will fit where the stock horn goes--keeping in mind that the cooling fans do not allow for a different size or shape horn. something that is loud and fits in the stock horn space.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:13 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Dan... some don't think the stock horn sucks. Obvious that Gas Pipe thinks this. I REFUSE to run a stock horn anymore. I have a wolo, Mini Beast... and that is THE reason I won't do Jason's fans.

Do you have ABS, Dan? If not, the right side cover is has room possibly for a WOLO without any cover?

Gas Pipe, read Dan's posts a little closer and see that he thinks stock horns SUCK, we ride touring. We ride in the rain for a whole width of a state. We CANT sit under a bridge and go home. One NEEDS a GOOD horn and not some wimpy 2bd crap *** stock horn. ******** really don't pay attention to bikes, in the rain. This is NOT about a wiring issue, etc... it's all about the DB ratings. Wolo horn is an air horn.

With THAT in mind... his question is whether the new 2014 touring horn is any louder than the 2013back horn is, and... if so, can it be retrofitted to a 2013 back bike and not hit Jason's fans.

Dan... I cannot answer that question.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 02-05-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:50 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

thanks for explaining that wurk truk...that is exactly what i was asking. i do not have abs and will check the right side cover for room under it to put a loud horn under there. the moco should be ashamed of themselves for putting such a crappy horn on a motorcycle.