Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Decel pop...what is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default Decel pop...what is too much?

So, the tuning threads talk about the perfect tune eliminates decel pop. But really, do you want to totally eliminate decel pop? IMHO, I kind of like some decel pop, but not to the point that it sounds like a 12 gauge shotgun.

Do you have any decel pop?

How do you quantify pop?

What is an acceptable or optimal amount of decel pop?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:50 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Very subjective. Main thing is check your pipes to make sure they are not discoloring excessively, and your spark plugs are healthy. You will never completely get rid of decel pops, just keep them between acceptable limits.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:35 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,392 Likes on 518 Posts

If I set my closed throttle fuel cells on my FuelMoto Micri EFI to +10 I have no decel pop at all. I kept dropping it a little cuz I like a little pop too. Now its at +7 and if I'm riding easy and downshifting at lower rpm like around town I get no pop. If Im riding spirited, downshifting at higher rpm I get a little Pop. This setting works for me.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:48 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Conventional wisdom is if you're getting a lot of decel pop the bike probably isn't running very well. But, I like a little myself.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:20 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

If your concern is that it's harmful to your motor, don't worry, it's not. As long as you're good with the amount (or lack of) decel pop, just ride it.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:17 PM
73shovel rider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the popping is a lean miss when throttle is closed . adding fuel at rpm and throttle position that it is popping should take care of it .

Old 03-09-2014, 10:07 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
So, the tuning threads talk about the perfect tune eliminates decel pop. But really, do you want to totally eliminate decel pop? IMHO, I kind of like some decel pop, but not to the point that it sounds like a 12 gauge shotgun.

Do you have any decel pop?

How do you quantify pop?

What is an acceptable or optimal amount of decel pop?
Yes, I have some decel pop...because I like it. Don't know how to quantify it. Everyone's ears are different in what you like to hear...frequency of pop and how loud it is.

I think the optimal amount of decel pop is whatever sounds good to you.

Decel popping does Not damage your engine...it is simply unburnt fuel that is burning in the exhaust tract after exiting the engine.

Decel popping occurs when one of two things are present.

1. The bike is so lean the exhaust is superheated and is burning the unburnt fuel that is in the pipes (there is always some unburnt fuel in the pipes no matter how lean). This is very rare.

2. The AFR IN THE pipes is just right to burn the unburnt fuel. This is quite a common occurrence when free flowing pipes are installed (whether or not a free flow A/C is installed). It can also occur if there is an exhaust leak that is introducing extra air into the exhaust tract.

Even if you like decel pop like the OP, it is always a good idea to check for exhaust leaks.

Also, check for intake leaks at the air cleaner and at the intake manifold/heads.

Another way to change the AFR IN THE Pipes is to install Thunder Torque Inserts.

If you don't like decel pop, and don't want to change the AFR in the pipes by changing the baffles or adding Thunder Torque Inserts....

It is absolutely possible for a tuner and someone who knows how to use it to tune the decel pop out.

HOWEVER, the methods used to tune the decel pop out of very open pipes are almost always at the sacrifice of performance and/or MPG.

An open pipe with the best performance tune is almost always going to have decel pop.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shovel rider
the popping is a lean miss when throttle is closed . adding fuel at rpm and throttle position that it is popping should take care of it .
Not real sure what you mean by "a lean miss" but if you're suggesting the issue is the result of a lean fueling condition that may not be the case. Both a lean or rich fueling condition can cause decel popping.

And simply adding fuel may not be the most appropriate remedy.

Many are often fooled in believing that adding fuel is always the answer. It is true that adding enough fuel (read flooding one or both cylinders) will usually reduce or eliminate decel pop. That's generally how amateurs "fix" decel pop.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:27 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Being an "amateur" I spoke with the tech section at Dynojet about that very topic concerning the PCIII and PCV. I eliminated my decel popping by adding fuel in the 0 and 2 % columns above 1250 rpm. Since the bike idles below that at 980-1020 rpm I did not see an increase in fuel use. The engine spends very little time in that range during a throttle closed rapid let off. That is in their FAQs as well. The techs said don't be afraid....start with 10 then 20 (or more) if it continues to improve. Then if you are motivated you can put in taper on values. It worked for me...a 2 into 1 will really let you know how you are doing. Only takes a few minutes to input and 2-3 quick runs through the gears to check how it goes.

A point to emphasize here is that the throttle needs to be set so idle stop value is zero on the V or it skews all the lower boxes. Do this first.