Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Magnetti Morelli replacement options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Fairshake
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zuteduff, You are running a Delphi FI system and it is far different from the MM system that the OP is running. They have nothing in common. One of the problems with the MM system is it's small Dual runner system. I had a 1998 FLHP FI bike with the MM system and spent close to $3000 dollars trying to make the bike have more Torque and HP. The best thing that an owner can do with the MM system is to remove it and replace it with the Mikuni carb of the proper size. Later Fairshake

Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Zuteduff. I use Ronnies all the time, and buy from Surdyke. That YouTube video was exactly what I needed. I'm not sure if it is the TPS. I had a tech at my local stealer hook it up to his computer and there was not error codes. Now, reading your earlier post where you didn't have any codes either until you replaced your ecm has me wondering...

Old 06-02-2014, 11:23 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DanDman
I'm running the S&S VFI with the S&S 52mm single bore TB and O2 sensors. The Harley part#32423-99C replacement ECM is the same as my S&S ECM part#55-5006. So if you decide to replace your ECM only both are compatible with the MM TB using the ProTune II software.
Question; Can you go in and adjust the settings to your specs, or is it limited to finding the closest canned map from S&S? Thx

Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairshake
Zuteduff, You are running a Delphi FI system and it is far different from the MM system that the OP is running. They have nothing in common. One of the problems with the MM system is it's small Dual runner system. I had a 1998 FLHP FI bike with the MM system and spent close to $3000 dollars trying to make the bike have more Torque and HP. The best thing that an owner can do with the MM system is to remove it and replace it with the Mikuni carb of the proper size. Later Fairshake
that's a negtive....Mine is a MM EFI>>> .they didn't do delphi till 02 i believe...

Old 06-02-2014, 11:57 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by yzergod
Thanks Zuteduff. I use Ronnies all the time, and buy from Surdyke. That YouTube video was exactly what I needed. I'm not sure if it is the TPS. I had a tech at my local stealer hook it up to his computer and there was not error codes. Now, reading your earlier post where you didn't have any codes either until you replaced your ecm has me wondering...
if it's doing it all the time and not only when it's hot...you might check the volt readout on the TPS. when i dropped my TB all the way to full closed, my reading was .191 when it should have been .275 at full closed.. I figured mine was bad since it became worse when hot....yours May just need adjusting and not replacing....

Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Fairshake
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zuteduff, You are quite correct sir. I was looking over the top of my Wally Worlds when I read your posting and thought I saw that your bike was a 2010 model, not purchased then. Please excuse an old man who misread your op. I do however stand behind the rest of my posting about trying to tune that system for performance. Take Care

Old 06-02-2014, 05:04 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fairshake
Zuteduff, You are quite correct sir. I was looking over the top of my Wally Worlds when I read your posting and thought I saw that your bike was a 2010 model, not purchased then. Please excuse an old man who misread your op. I do however stand behind the rest of my posting about trying to tune that system for performance. Take Care
quite alright sir.....us ole men do make mistakes on occasions...and you're right about the tuning....

Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This video maybe helpful, mainly about installing software.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ZUTEDUFF
if it's doing it all the time and not only when it's hot...you might check the volt readout on the TPS. when i dropped my TB all the way to full closed, my reading was .191 when it should have been .275 at full closed.. I figured mine was bad since it became worse when hot....yours May just need adjusting and not replacing....
I bow in your general direction! Using the YouTube video you posted, I was able (for the first time I might add) to use a multi-meter. My TPS read .041 (not sure what setting to use on the multi-meter, I just set it at 200m?). I was able to get it to .275 but the bolts that hold the TPS have glue in the slots for the torx bit? I used a pair of needle nose vise grips. Hopefully I got them tight enough that they won't back out under vibration. I then set the cold idle at about .652, then the warm at about 950rpms (based on the not so specific factory tach). Initially, it seems that fixed my hesitation at 2850-3150 rpms, but I'll need a longer run to make sure.

I'm still looking into an upgrade, but hopefully this will keep me running through the summer!!!! Thanks to all for the input and a giant thank you to ZUTEDUFF!

Old 06-02-2014, 10:45 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member

Hope that fixed it my friend.....Yeah, that crap they put into the screw heads is a pain. used a small ice pick type tool to remove it from mine then had to tap on the torx socket to seat it good....if you get a new TPS, it comes with new screws minus the epoxy...

I know that mine is running better now that it has since I bought it 4 years ago.....

Quick Reply: Magnetti Morelli replacement options?