Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starter Grinds--Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:50 AM
dobro
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Grinds--Why?

I have a 2007 Dyna. Usually when I hit the starter it grinds a couple of times before it starts. My professional mechanic has 40 years of experience with Harleys and he tells me that there's nothing wrong and that some Harleys just do that. He would not be shy about telling me I need to pay him to repair or replace a part if he believed that was needed. Any ideas about what's causing the grinding?

Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by dobro
I have a 2007 Dyna. Usually when I hit the starter it grinds a couple of times before it starts. My professional mechanic has 40 years of experience with Harleys and he tells me that there's nothing wrong and that some Harleys just do that. He would not be shy about telling me I need to pay him to repair or replace a part if he believed that was needed. Any ideas about what's causing the grinding?
Find a new mechanic.

Sometimes they grind but always for a reason. Could be weak battery or bad connection, loose starter, missing/damaged teeth, or a couple other things.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:09 PM
dobro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Find a new mechanic.

Sometimes they grind but always for a reason. Could be weak battery or bad connection, loose starter, missing/damaged teeth, or a couple other things.
In another thread it was suggested to read service bulletin M-1231, which states that all 2006 dynas and all 2007 dynas, touring and softail models are subject to developing erratic starting or grinding during starting as a result the starter fasteners losing clamp load.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Find a new mechanic.

I'm not sure of the dyna models have a compensator like the touring models, but in my touring 07 it was the compensator that failed and needed replacing. Fix is to upgrade to the SE compensator. Common failure in tgouring model bikes, not sure about the dynas.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Could you elaborate what you mean by "it grinds a couple of times before it starts". Do you mean it turns over too long? Do you hit the start three times for a start? Are you describing a noise?

Old 08-07-2014, 05:35 PM
dobro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Could you elaborate what you mean by "it grinds a couple of times before it starts". Do you mean it turns over too long? Do you hit the start three times for a start? Are you describing a noise?

Yes, I am describing a noise. It struggles to start then screeches. After 2 or 3 attempts it starts right up. BTW, I had the service bulletin fix described in my message above and it did not help.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

My guess is your battery is worn out. Maintenance chargers keep the voltage up but the cold cranking amps fall off. Also, never let up when you hit the start button till it is running. If you hit it three times starting it, it's getting too much fuel. If it's kicking back, it's the battery. If you have a tuner on it, no telling if it's not set correctly. However, mine acts strange ever now and then when parked hot in the sun and I come back to it before it cools off. It usually starts with a bang as it throws starter gear back.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:54 AM
dobro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
My guess is your battery is worn out. Maintenance chargers keep the voltage up but the cold cranking amps fall off. Also, never let up when you hit the start button till it is running. If you hit it three times starting it, it's getting too much fuel. If it's kicking back, it's the battery. If you have a tuner on it, no telling if it's not set correctly. However, mine acts strange ever now and then when parked hot in the sun and I come back to it before it cools off. It usually starts with a bang as it throws starter gear back.

Thanks, Ripsaw. I do have a PC5 on it that was tuned at a HD shop, which is not reassuring to me. I also have a high torque cam on it. I'll stop letting off the starter button before it starts.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:59 PM
dobro
Cruiser

Thanks, Ripsaw. I do have a PC5 on it that was tuned at a HD shop, which is not reassuring to me. I also have a high torque cam on it. I'll stop letting off the starter button before it starts.

... and probably bite the bullet and install a compression release.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

... and probably bite the bullet and install a compression release.

Einee meinee chilli beanie (Bullwinkle, for you youngsters)...

I see a new starter clutch in your future...

Quick Reply: Starter Grinds--Why?