Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Problems 2004 FLHRI

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 AM
DTCOOPER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Problems 2004 FLHRI

Hey guys,
Haven't posted much lately.. But had a little technical issue and wanted to help out someone else who may have the same problem..
I turned 100k on my Road King a few weeks ago..
On the last 20 miles of a 200 mile run last weekend, I stopped at a light, and had some stuttering and popping on acceleration..
It appeared to clear up as you got up in gears and higher speeds..
Well I got the bike home and pulled into the shop..
Simplest things first, I changed the plugs. They looked good, but had about 10k miles on them, so I changed them. Checked for fire. Had good fire, and could hear the pump humming when I cycled the key. I pulled the air cleaner, and did the seafoam deep creep, to make sure the AIC was working properly.. Still no help.
I knew it had been 25-30k since changing the fuel filter, so I figured that might be the culprit.. Called the Harley shop, and knew I was going to overpay for it.. But grinned and took my licks.. 88 bucks.. But hey, if you need a filter on Sunday, you do what you have to do.

Disassembled the tank pod, changed the filter and hose, and got it back together.. Had high hopes of it working perfectly, jumping on the bike, and taking off... Cycled key, pump whirred to life, hit the starter, and it cranked and cranked, but wouldn't light off.. Cycled the key a few more times, and still wouldn't start up. Didn't sound like it was firing now.. So I pulled a plug, and sure enough, no fire. Now I was frantic.. What had I done, that would cause no fire AND no fuel?
Scratched my head for a few, and decided to remove the pod, and double check myself. Well, I had reversed the 3 small "pins", in the small 3 wire connector that runs into the pump assembly.. Re-installed those wires into the connector, got it assembled (again), and fired right up. Runs like a new one..
In hindsight, the bike has been running lean for a while. I now have the crisp throttle response back.
The interesting this was that it would only "Stumble" on take off.. It "Seemed" to clear up at higher speeds, and in higher gears. I reckon that's just because it made the biggest demand for fuel on take off.. And the filter would flow enough fuel for higher speeds while cruising..
If it can save one person from racking their brain for a similar issue, it was worth it..