Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Base Map for tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Andy Knell
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Base Map for tuning

I feel like I'm going in circles with tuning a "14 Forty Eight with a SEPST. I have V&H Short Shots and a DK Outlaw AC installed, so full stage 1. And just to clarify, I've read through the sticky thread but it's just gotten too long with 200+ pages.

When starting out....

Load the correct calibration file in the SE software, of course. I got that but should any changes be made to it before any tuning runs? For example, should any adjustments be made to the AFR since most of the values in the table are 14.6 or is that rich enough vs the stock table? What about adjusting for ethanol?

Tuning runs...
All tuning runs should be made against the base map that's loaded, correct? In other words, I should flash the ECM with the stage I file and then do data runs to add to the original map.

For example, If I've flashed the ECM and make four tuning runs. All four runs should be loaded in Smart Tune for each cylinder, generate and then update all at once. If I run a fifth and sixth, should I be loading all tuning runs and doing the same thing?

If I'm understanding this correctly, it seems to me that if you take a base map, call it A, add some data runs and make changes to it, you essentially make a new base map, call it B, to work from. So should future data runs be loaded into the new one, B, with the previous runs already applied or should A be loaded and then all new and old runs applied at the same time?

Lastly, on tuning runs, information gathered on each doesn't have to be complete, correct? So, if I get out and do some 1-3 gears, save and download, I can add more later and the holes will get filled in by the computer or is it better to get the full range on each run?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:34 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Knell
I feel like I'm going in circles with tuning a "14 Forty Eight with a SEPST. I have V&H Short Shots and a DK Outlaw AC installed, so full stage 1. And just to clarify, I've read through the sticky thread but it's just gotten too long with 200+ pages.

When starting out....

Load the correct calibration file in the SE software, of course. I got that but should any changes be made to it before any tuning runs? For example, should any adjustments be made to the AFR since most of the values in the table are 14.6 or is that rich enough vs the stock table? What about adjusting for ethanol?

Tuning runs...
All tuning runs should be made against the base map that's loaded, correct? In other words, I should flash the ECM with the stage I file and then do data runs to add to the original map.

For example, If I've flashed the ECM and make four tuning runs. All four runs should be loaded in Smart Tune for each cylinder, generate and then update all at once. If I run a fifth and sixth, should I be loading all tuning runs and doing the same thing?

If I'm understanding this correctly, it seems to me that if you take a base map, call it A, add some data runs and make changes to it, you essentially make a new base map, call it B, to work from. So should future data runs be loaded into the new one, B, with the previous runs already applied or should A be loaded and then all new and old runs applied at the same time?

Lastly, on tuning runs, information gathered on each doesn't have to be complete, correct? So, if I get out and do some 1-3 gears, save and download, I can add more later and the holes will get filled in by the computer or is it better to get the full range on each run?

Any help would be appreciated.
I sent you a pm

Last edited by harleytuner; 08-31-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:02 PM
bobclark101
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for 103 in 204 cam base map

Hi all
Just had my 2011 FLHTK 103 rebuilt completely.
I had 204 cams installed and can't find a base map for the 204 cams
Want to use my SE ProTuner smart tune but as I understand it I need to find a base map as close to my engine as possible.
103 stock
SE Air intake
SE Exhaust
204 cams
All else is stock.
Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Old 02-13-2015, 03:51 PM
lt4buckeyes
Novice
Default Need to know what base calibration to start with

Hopefully this doesn't sound too stupid, but I just installed an SE intake...the one that uses the OEM intake cover. I have a 2014 Ultra....basic, nothing but Rinehart slipons. What base calibration should I start with. The closest was "617SEN204", but that has a SE exhaust, which I do not have...will this make a difference? The next question is...what calibration should I use after I install the Slimline Duals from Rinehart

My plan is to get the bike Dyno'd, but I wanted to play with the tuning a bit myself...and maybe learn something. I also wanted to know how to set the calibration back to factory.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2015, 11:17 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I sent you a pm
We want to know the answer too.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Fat Bob 12
1st Gear

Can you send me the same PM that you sent Andy Snell? Or read and comment on my post that I just put up today. I think I'm having a similar problem and im getting bad performance because of it.
Thanks, FatBob12