Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

'62 Ironhead Oil Pump Check Valve Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:42 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default '62 Ironhead Oil Pump Check Valve Question

I want to remove my oil pump pressure switch in order to check the condition of the check valve spring and ball, but the previous owner painted some kind of hard rubber sealer all over the oil pump pressure switch. See attached pic.

Any idea why someone would do this? Leakage?
Thanks,
Jack

Attached Thumbnails '62 Ironhead Oil Pump Check Valve Question-img_2456.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 05:38 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

i have seen this a few times and whats going on ? -- this is a guess but every one we uncovered had this issue - they overtightened the oil pump switch and what that does is it cracks the oil pump body accross the top or the bottom of the threads

so they JB welded the entire thing -- its my guess but i have seen this same thing more than once

Old 11-18-2014, 09:35 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
i have seen this a few times and whats going on ? -- this is a guess but every one we uncovered had this issue - they overtightened the oil pump switch and what that does is it cracks the oil pump body accross the top or the bottom of the threads

so they JB welded the entire thing -- its my guess but i have seen this same thing more than once
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think the goop was JB weld as it seems to be kind of soft, but regardless of the goop material, I bet you're right, someone over tighten the oil pump switch and crack the switch and/or oil pump body, so they sealed it instead of replacing it.

And to this I say crap. I'm rebuilding this motor and with all the metal filings I have found in the primary and cam cases, I really want to dissemble the oil pump and if nothing else, give it a good cleaning. I'm really learning the hard way on this bike. Just found out from Dan Baisley today the front jug has a crack all the way down one of the head bolt holes. Now I'm in the market for a good used front jug or an after market pair. Argh!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:17 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

i might have a set of 900 jugs and even an oil pump body

will look today and let you know

i looked and i have an empty oil pump body used in usable condition but its 200 bucks -- i believe Bills in PA has new ones i dont know what he gets for them but this is his link -- http://www.billscustomcycles.com/store.php

if you want it and it does not do it for you put it back in the box and send it back i will return the pay pal with shipping both ways

Jugs i have 1000 no 900s left as oem pieces, the ones i have i believe are 020 and will clean up at .030 - again Bills might have what you need as well

Last edited by johnjzjz; 11-19-2014 at 01:52 PM.