Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

throwing flames out the carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Rolson1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throwing flames out the carb

Ok guys I got the old 68 xlch running and put a new dist on and got it all timed fires up in 1 to 2 kicks runs strong but it seems like when I rev it up in idle it seems to fire out the carb a little bit. Now as far as the carb goes I have a cv carb on it now when I did fire it up I did not have the air cleaner on would that make a difference and suggestions would be greatful.

Thanks Rolson1

Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Rolson1
Intermediate
Default RE: throwing flames out the carb

I forgot to mention befor reinstalling carb I installed new jets if the jets are to big could this cause it

Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Rolson1
Intermediate

anyone

Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well from your description I would have to suspect the ignition timing just a little bit off being correct. I know you said you had set it, but are you sure you can see the slash mark in the timing hole at 2000 rpms?
Also, it soumds like you have had the carb removed. Why did you put different jets in the carb? You should use the ones that came with it, unless you have a really good reason to have changed them out.
A final thing to be certain of (especially if you have had the inlet manifold removed) is that the O rings are sealing correctly. To check that if in doubt you will have to remove the carb and with your fingers feel all around inside the manifold at the O rings. If they are not smooth and even inside you need to re-install them.........pg

edit note: Keep the air cleaner on the carb or you run a good chance of setting the entire bike on fire. I have burned more than one myself by starting it up without the A/C in place.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Rolson1
Intermediate

ok rechecked the timing a little advanced set it where it should be know it seems harder to start and just puffs smoke out of the carb ran well where I had it set at. Besides the flames I did put a little bit bigger jet in it could that be the case I did seat the set screw back it out 2 full turns and seemed like it was getting to much so turned it in1/2 turn and that where I am at
Thanks pg

Old 09-19-2007, 12:15 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

rechecked the timing a little advanced set it where it should be know it seems harder to start and just puffs smoke out of the carb ran well where I had it set at.
As long as you can see the mark in the hole this will be close enough for the timing.
You have two jets systems in the carb......the low speed and the high speed.
The high speed is in effect at roughly half throttle to full.
Less than half throttle is mainly the low speed side of things. All of that is a great approximation just for the record. Main jet size isn't really a factor when you are talking about starting the machine. Low speed is where that action is.
The low speed is adjusted to obtain the fastest idle speed. Warm up the bike and turn the low speed needle in or out to make the engine idle faster. Reset the idle speed to 900 to 1000 rpms and do it again. When you have the needle set to give you the fastest idle speed, you are finished. That will take care of the low speed.
I would put the original jets back in myself. Just putting a larger jet in the carb for the sake of having a larger jet is not something you really want to do. You may have thrown the air/fuel balance out of whack by doing that. Replace the original jets without doing anything else right now and see how it runs. Better? Worse?
Oh......and again, try to keep that air cleaner on the bike if you can.........pg

Old 09-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Rolson1
Intermediate

thanks again pg going to switch back tomorrow to the old jets and see thanks bud

Old 09-19-2007, 02:30 AM
jdusty21
Advanced

Just a little of what I have heard; The CV carbs' have bigger jets than what was stock for Ironhead engines. Making them larger only compounds the problem, from what was simply explained to me without getting into timing and exhaust. I have one on my 79 XLS and it runs great, the only problem I have is setting the idle. I just cant seem to get it slow enough after warming up to running temps. Dusty

Old 09-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Rolson1
Intermediate

ok reinstalled the old jets jet #s were a 160 and a 45 now do them seem like to big of jets for this bike thats what was in it when I purchased the bike. Not sure what stock jets are for the carb

Old 09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

42/145 are stock jets for 883 evosporty, ironhead requires much bigger jets alike 45/160 that you have, they should be near... EDIT: are you sure that your ignition isn't 180ยบ wrong

Quick Reply: throwing flames out the carb