Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Spits back through carb and dies! Arrgh!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:07 AM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spits back through carb and dies! Arrgh!

76 XLCH, bone stock. I built it myself from the ground up. Runs sweet except for this aggrivating problem.

When I'm sitting at a traffic light idling, it will just suddenly spit back through the carb and die. It will restart OK after a couple of kicks, but sometimes I have to push it out of traffic to restart it. It gets embarrasing.

I've been told that it is normal, and is related to the wasted spark ignition, but I don't really totally believe that.

Anything I can do to help this? Any ideas.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:28 AM
tedali2004
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spits back through carb and dies! Arrgh!

Start with the basics.Not to piont fingers, but this kind of quest. is in here often.

Does it need a tune-up? Good clean plugs and pionts gapped correctly? These are adjustments made every so many miles.

What is the idle RPM? Should be around 1000-1100 rpm. Mine hates to idle less than 1200 (sad fact for me). Cams effect the time as much as the piston position. Are the valve push rods adjusted properly? With the cam lobe down/valve closed the push rod should not have preload. This is a solid lifter with roller. The push rod should spin free when twisted with the fingers.If you think it is too loose, but it does not have up & down slop play, it is probably perfect.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:36 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Spits back through carb and dies! Arrgh!

{I've been told that it is normal, and is related to the wasted spark ignition}
What you have been told is wrong.
Just what do these people think, that HD is going to manufacture a machine that dies at a red light and sell this to the general public?
Just a sore point with me, people giving an opinion when they have no idea of what they are saying.
I would think that your carb may be the problem. I have no idea of what carb you have on the bike, but if it has an accelerator pump, look into that as a beginning.
It is rather difficult to determine the problem online with the info you have given, but there is a place to start to look anyway.
You want your idle speed to be at 900 to 1000 rpms and the low speed needle should be set correctly.
To do that just set the correct idle speed and then turn the low speed needle inward until the engine starts to stumble.
Back the needle out until the engine again just starts to stumble.
The correct setting is halfway between those points.............pg